Monday, December 14

Vintage Christmas Card for December 14

I just love this scene on this vintage card. A visit to the General Store was a treat for the entire family. In the late 1990's, I was fortunate to work at a place called The Landing (east of Shakopee, MN) where costumed interpreters bring the history of Minnesota homes, settlers, and customs to life. And this photo recalls times I spent at The Landing sharing history with vistors. It was like taking a trip back in time to dress in the clothing of the late 1800's and sew on the treadle sewing machine, stoke the fire and bake a cake and set it in the window. That was the fun side of sharing history. Now the reality was that baking that cake or bread had to be done when it was very hot out and I quickly realized that demonstrating sewing was much more enjoyable than baking on a hot day. I could make that decision but in real life, there were no such choices, you just had to bake the bread, bring in water, carry in logs, wash clothes and hang on the line to dry. Life was hard. We look back with rose-colored glasses on those times. They were simpler times, though, but physically much harder. And another aspect of those times..... if you traveled west and settled in a small town, it might be years before you saw your family members. Ah, the good old days!

The Landing does a beautiful celebration called "Folkways of the Holidays" where all the traditions of Christmas and Hannakuh are shared. There are some private tours this season but hopefully next year, the full event can take place. It is wonderful to see the different customs of our area here in the Minnesota River Valley. 



1 comment:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Think how hot those dresses were in the summer. I love my treadles (and hand cranks) but I also enjoy using them in the air conditioning with nice electric lights nearby so that I can see what I am sewing.

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018