Thursday, November 13

A little early Christmas gift for all of you!

I promised a little Christmas Sampler and here it is! It's nothing fancy, just a simple little expression of what Christmas means to me. As always there's a story............I designed this little sampler for a retreat in November of 2001 at Inspiration Point in Alexandria, MN. I had been given the opportunity to "fill in" for a teacher who scheduled to lead a class at the retreat but had to cancel due to back problems. My friend, Jean, learned of the situation when she picked her daughter up at summer camp and said she knew someone who might be able to fill the spot. And so, thanks to Jean, I got my first chance to teach at a "real retreat". On another day, I'll share photos of "Winter Star" the quilt that I designed and taught at the retreat. In addition to teaching the quilt class, I offered to prepare a little project with kits that could be done on the Friday evening before classes began on Saturday. And "Christmas is Love" was born.

That fall we were all still reeling from the events of September 11th and I think all of us held our family more near and dear that year. For me personally, it was a tough time. My dad's health was not good even then and it would be the first Christmas without either of our grandparents as my grandpa had passed away in 2000, joining Grandma Goldie, his favorite piano player. Family is an amazing thing, you know. We have these wonderful people in our lives and yet time slips away and sometimes we don't get to spend as much time with them as we would like. I have been blessed to be able to enjoy many times with my parents, grandparents, brother and sister and family and my own two dear kids, their loved ones, my husband, and my grandson, Jacob. Christmas is a special time for our family just as it may be for your family. Again, this year, there will be a change at Christmas. We will be missing my dad and he loved Christmas and giving just about more than anyone I know. And so, thinking of him, I share this little sampler with you as a gift for Christmas really is all about Love. Make it up for a friend or loved one and let them know how much they mean to you. Give them the gift of Christmas Love.

In the photo above, I used woolfelt for all the pieces (measurements given below). In the original pattern and kit, I used cotton fabrics and fusible web and embellished the piece with glitter trim. The little piece measures approximately 8 x 10" and fits perfectly in a picture frame.

All you have to do to print out these pages is .........right click on the picture and save to your computer, then you can print out the pages. If that doesn't work, though, just send me an e-mail or leave a comment and I will send you the pdf file.

If you are using woolfelt for your project, cut........
One strip 2" x 10" of cream/beige for "Christmas"
One 2 1/2" x 3" piece of green for the heart block
One 2" x 2 1/2" piece of red for "is" block
One 3 1/2" x 5" piece of gold for "Love" block
One 5" x 6" piece of blue for tree block
All other pieces are the same as printed on pattern and color guides are printed on patterns.
To sew the woolfelt together, I placed the pieces on muslin and lightly glued them with a fabric gluestick. Then I used Perle cotton and cross stitched the seams together. After this stitching was finished I added the tree, heart, etc. I used Perle cotton to embroider the words "Christmas" and "is" and embroidery floss to stitch around all the woolfelt shapes such as the tree, heart, etc. I added beads for lights on the tree and bells for a little jingle (and because a ringing bell means an angel gets her wings).
If you are using cotton fabrics for your project, cut........
One strip 2 1/2" x 10 1/2" of cream/beige for "Christmas"
One 3" x 3 1/2" piece of green for the heart block
One 2 1/2" x 3" piece of red for "is" block
One 4" x 5 1/2" piece of gold for "Love" block
One 5 1/2" x 6 1/2" piece of blue for tree block
All other pieces are the same as printed on pattern and color guides are printed on patterns.
I fused all the shapes - tree, heart, etc. to each fabric piece, then sewed them together with 1/4" seams. I embroidered the "is" and "Christmas" after the pieces were sewn together. So, you will start by sewing the "is" block to the "heart" block and press. Then stitch that section to the "Love" block and press. Next piece to add is the "Tree" block, press and add the strip that will be embroidered with "Christmas". I used Perle cotton to embroider the words "Christmas" and "is". I used a fine point glitter paint tube to trim all the fused pieces - tree, heart, and letters for "LOVE".
While I framed each of the pieces that I made, you could also make them into a little wallhanging by adding borders, backing fabric, etc. It takes so little fabric to make one so pull out your scraps and stitch one up for someone you love.
If you make the pattern, let me know. I'd love to see photos. And if you have a special "Christmas is Love" memory, leave a comment and share it with all of us. I share this little project with all of you and just ask that you not make the design for sale but make as many as you want to give as gifts. The message is meant to be shared. You know that old saying - Love isn't love, 'til you give it away"!!
And as my dad would say - Good night, sleep tight and don't let the bedbugs bite!
Blessings,
Sandi

9 comments:

Kritta22 said...

You are so wonderful to share! Thank you so much! I'm so making this! I'll post pictures!! thank you!

Terry said...

Thank you so much for sharing this pattern! It's just so cute! :0)

Mel said...

How very nice of you Sandi! Thanks for the pattern! I hope you have a wonderful holiday season!!

Nanette Merrill said...

What a sweet project. It is darling. I'm not much with wool. But I should be!

Samantha said...

I always enjoy reading your stories. Christmas is my favorite time of year, because as a child it was always magical (I know that for too many people, this is not true.) Your pattern is so cute (as usual.)

Sandra :) said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwww it's so sweet - thank you for sharing it with us!

xashee's corner said...

soooooooo CUTE!! Thank you for sharing your creative talents!! :D Happiest Holidays to you and yours!

Nancy in IN said...

I love the Christmas wall hanging. Could you send me the file as a .pdf. I'd love the make.
Nancy in IN

alexisj said...

Please could you send me the pdf file. Thank you. Alexis in Australia alexisj@iinet.net.au

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018