Thursday, December 1

A very special Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving this year was very special at our house. My brother, Doug, his wife, Sandy, and their daughter, Sue Ellen came for Thanksgiving. And they brought my mom, too!  Our kids were here, too........ Collette, Daryl, Devlin and grandson, Jacob. We were so fortunate that the weather here in the Midwest was so mild because it made travel super easy! While I was happy to have family, I think Kaiser our Wonder Beagle was even happier. He was very fond of Sue Ellen and she was fond of Kaiser. She has a feather in her hair and it's hanging in Kaiser's face and he doesn't even mind!
Here's part of the crew after they arrived on Thanksgiving Eve. Chatting around the kitchen table are my mom, brother Doug, husband Steve and son-in-law Daryl..........
and chatting in the living room were sister-in-law Sandy and daughter Collette (I was looking down from the upstairs landing when I took this picture).......
There were lots of folks who needed a bed and we managed one for everyone except grandson Jacob. I asked him if he'd mind if I made him a bed of pillows and quilts in my sewing room.  He likes my sewing room because it's cozy and it has a TV and my computer is in there so he didn't mind a bit. Here he is ready for bed watching some sports program as I took this picture.
Husband Steve got up first and started the turkey. He took over the "turkey baking" duties several years ago. I like this a lot as I prefer to bake pies and make sweet potatoes and mashed potatoes. Don't ask who forgot to make the gravy. Daryl made the green bean casserole. What did people eat with their turkeys before green bean casserole became a staple in a Thanksgiving menu?
While the turkey was cooking, we enjoyed visiting. Jacob was on the computer and so Sue Ellen needed something to do. I found her something she thought was fun and it saved me time! She is adding decorative glitter highlights to my Christmas cards!! How cool, right?!!
Turkey was ready so we all sat down to dinner..........son Devlin, then Doug, Sandy........
my mom, Mary, me, Collette and Daryl........
then Steve got his camera and took some pictures...........
And where are Jacob and Sue Ellen? They ate in the kitchen and were finished almost before we started. :-)
Collette and Sandy did most of the clean-up which I thought was great!
It was a toss-up for an afternoon movie.........."It's a Wonderful Life" or "Christmas Vacation". You can see on the TV screen that "Christmas Vacation" was the winner. That movie is so funny!

And what about Kaiser? Well, he was searching for crumbs underneath the dining room table........... LOL!
It was really great to have family spend the holiday and for everyone to travel safely. This mild weather we are having is really not that common for Minnesota in late November.  I wonder if it will last til Christmas? One can hope............
Next post.........good news!
Sandi






8 comments:

Marit Johanne said...

It looks like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family! Thank you for sharing with us.

ckbrylliant said...

Such a cozy post. Thanks for sharing.

Mommarock said...

Looks like such a wonderful time. I sure hope for your sake that the warmer weather holds.. It can be brutal in Minnesota in the winters. Think warm thoughts.

Me and My Stitches said...

What a great day with family! We too, were thankful for such mild weather.

Needled Mom said...

It looks and sounds like a perfect Thanksgiving. I'm glad that the weather held up.

At what point did you remember the gravy????

Snoodles said...

What a wonderful Thanksgiving! So sweet to have the family around. Enjoyed your post so much!

Denise :) said...

What a lovely recount of your Thanksgiving holiday! It sounds as if you all had a most memorable get together! :)

Bearlywild said...

Glad you had a nice day with the family and that mom could come, too. And, it was fun to peak inside your house. LOL

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018