Monday, March 7

What's on the line?

Spring is on the line today!!! Yes, this basket full of tulips just says "Spring"...............

however...............it's not spring here at all. In fact, we are supposed to get snow for the next three days!! I am very tired of the white landscape, though, so I had to share something that was full of the colors of spring. I've shared this one before in photos taken last spring on a very windy day. To see just how windy....just go here . This photo was taken last fall when I was taking pictures so I would have plenty to share during the long winter. It's certainly been long enough. I am craving some color other than white. The red tulips in this quilt would be quite nice to see in full bloom and I know just the place nearby that has beautiful tulips every spring. Yes, I do love tulips. They are my favorite spring flower and the red ones are the best! And it was red ones that grew in the flower beds along the side of our house that inspired this quilt. I don't particularly have a very "green thumb" but I managed to get a few red tulips to pop up every spring. The only thing I don't like about tulips is that they have such a short bloom time. Ah, but with this little quilt, I can have tulips in bloom all the time! I made this one in April of 2000 which seems soooooo long ago. It's another one of the twelve little quilts that I made to commemorate the Millennium. Can you believe we are eleven years from the Millennium? I cannot believe how time flies. But back to the quilt...........the tulips and basket are done with fusible applique and I trimmed them with fine line acrylic "puffy" paints. It's not a traditional way to embellish a quilt but it worked for this one. I've started the same design in traditional applique. It's in my "to do" pile which keeps growing because I keep starting projects and my finishes are fewer than my starts. :-)

I hope my tulips made you smile at the thought of spring. And that's because if you are waiting for spring to arrive, it's only a thought because winter is hanging on like frozen sheets on the line! LOL!

What other news do I have to share...........

Well, some of you are quite interested to learn how I found the owner of the Bible. It was a tip from reader, Sarah, that I search the wife's name. Don't ask me why but I never tried that. I was always in search of the man's name and there's another thing I didn't try......I got a disconnected number message for the phone numbers I tried and I made an assumption that meant the address was also not good. It is never wise to assume anything. Long ago, my boss, Gary, told me that. Oh, I should have remembered that........because a note to the address might have solved the mystery a good half-dozen years ago. I can't fix that, though, so I move forward and will be returning the Bible to it's rightful owner. I like to think I was it's caretaker because here's a really interesting part of the story..............I've told you the Bible was in the desk that I had when I worked in the office at Murphy's Landing and when it was not claimed, I was told I could use it. So I took it home and I have used it. A few years later and I was no longer working at Murphy's, there was a fire and the office burned to the ground. Had the Bible been left in that desk, it would have burned, too. But it wasn't in that desk because it was with me. And soon it will go back to it's original owner, something that would not have happened had I not kept the Bible. :-)
Okay, so more news...........
This past weekend, my husband and I did some housecleaning furniture moving. Geesh, are we getting old or what? Thank goodness for Danny, a friend, we could hire to help move the old living room furniture to the basement. After that was done, we vacuumed up a storm. Then we were tired. Yep, getting old. :-)
On the fun side of things.........all my new computer stuff is in place and I can load pictures so I will finally get a mug rug/cookie coaster tutorial posted. And I have some wooly tulip themed projects to share and then there's a table runner project I'm working on that I think will be ready in early April. Now that all the computer stuff and the house project stuff is out of the way, I am planning to sit down today and make a list of the posts I need to do to catch up on things planned/never posted and things planned/to be posted!
There's also some fun going on in my Season's BOM Yahoo group where we are having our first swap and can you guess the swap item?..........a mug rug, of course. Some of us participated in the swap hosted by Michele of Quilting Gallery and it was so much fun, we got members in my group excited, too. There are fifty swappers participating and once again, I think the most fun thing in this is thinking that all those swap packages are criss-crossing their way across the country and around the world spreading smiles and friendship. Just too cool!
Last news.........actually I can't tell you yet but I have some really good news that is such good news but I'm not sure it's real yet so wait til tomorrow and I should know by then. How's that for getting you to come back and find out what I'm talking about?
See ya tomorrow!
Sandi

11 comments:

Pat said...

I love that tulip piece and even though we don't have white any longer, I am still sick of winter. And I am smiling BIG TIME at your last paragraph here!!! What wonderful news about the Bible....can't wait to hear more about the day you return it to its owner (is that being done in person or do you have to mail it)?

Melanie said...

The tulip pieces warms a winter day... warmer days are on the way----Promise....

Kaye said...

Do you ever just relax? Bless your heart you are always on the go. The tulips are sooo springlike, ikts coming, its coming

Crispy said...

The tulip quilt is so lovely!! Great news about the bible. I'm sure she will be happy to get it back. I'm not quite ready for spring cleaning, that doesn't happen until I can put up the storms and open the windows. I love the smell of fresh air while I'm doing deep cleaning :o)

Crispy

Barbara said...

That tulip project is stunning! Tulips are my favorite spring flower as well. Spring is in the air, and on your line. ;)

Mommarock said...

Oh you tease... I'll certainly be back tomorrow :) we all can use some good news!!

Needled Mom said...

I can imagine that you are excited about finally seeing tulips for real. I can't believe your forecast. Geesh!!!

I missed the story about the bible while we were away, but it must have been fun to find the owner.

I can't wait to hear your news.

DebbieM said...

I'm so happy that you found the Bible's owner! What a wonderful story, and as for the fire, it was meant to be that you had it. He works in mysterious ways, doesn't he?

Diane Wild said...

I'm tired just reading your post. Love the tulip. Wouldn't it look pretty sticking its head out of the snow bank? LOL.

Anonymous said...

The tulip quilt does make me smile on the cold, cloudy, very, very wet Wednesday. I love the Bible story and that you saved it. The fabric bundle in the above post is fabulous, too!

Gayner Evans said...

what a generous lady you are, always helping people and offering good ideas. I love to see Tulips in the garden they cheer you up

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018