Saturday, December 11

Living in a Snowglobe!

Ha! ha! That's what it feels like here in Minnesota these days. Wow, it's beautiful when you watch it safe from inside the house.......but.......it is not so beautiful to drive in that heavy falling snow!!! We went out to do some shopping yesterday afternoon and then to a party with friends and it was really nice over in Apple Valley (MN). Oh, yes, calm as could be and no snow falling. Then we got about ten miles down the road and I noticed the first flakes, just tiny ones. Then the snow fell harder and it was being blown at the windshield in that hypnotizing way that makes it impossible to see where you are going. My husband was driving but I was "hitting the brakes" on the passenger side of the car more than once! LOL! It was a 35 mile trip in that stuff and I was sooooooo glad when we finally drove into town and knew there was just one mile to get us home!! It was only last Friday and Saturday that we had our last snow and here it is again! Luckily we have no place to go today (I got groceries so we are in no need of leaving the house!) so I hope the power stays on and I may bake some cookies or work on some gifts I'm making. Wow, what a winter we are having and the calendar still says it's autumn!
Speaking of "making gifts", I was going to show you what my daughter and grandson were working on when they were here at Thanksgiving. Some of you may remember that I shared a photo of some cute peppermint kiss cookies that my daughter, Collette, was baking. It was one of three peppermint cookie recipes that she baked to fill little goodie bags for all her staff (44 of them!) at the Daycare she owns. Her theme was peppermint, so she decorated little brown gift bags with peppermint designs and added peppermint gift tags. She filled the bags with the peppermint cookies and also little votive cups with peppermint ribbons and filled with a candle. While she baked those cookies............. Jacob (her son/my grandson) helped her with another project............Those are flat glass pieces that you put in flower arrangements.......

And he was pressing adhesive magnets to the back of these magnets that Collette included in each bag. She found some red and green peppermint fabric and cut out the circles then glued them to the back of the flat glass pieces. When you add the round magnet, they make great decorations for the refrigerator or to hold special photos or Christmas cards in place.
Everyone got two of each of the magnets. The bags looked so cute and I would have loved to show you a picture of it all but Collette said she forgot to take a picture at this year's staff Christmas party. Not to worry. They all had fun and you all get the idea of how to do the magnets. These would be really cute to fussy cut shapes from fabric or to print out the letters "QUILTER" or a grandchild's name or photo, etc. Just don't get those magnets close to your computer and keep them away from small children!
That's all for now. Thinking right now that it might be really nice to be someplace where it is warm and the sun is shining!
Have a good weekend!
Sandi

9 comments:

Crispy said...

Boy I hear ya on the snow. I'm so happy that I decided to run to town early yesterday (left home at 6:30 and was back by 9:30) before the snow started. The only good thing I can say is the wind was coming from the NE and it didn't drift up to my behind in the walkway LOL. Is it Spring yet?????

Crispy

Karen said...

I do not miss driving in snow. Hope your white stuff lets up soon but that you have a white Christmas.

Marie said...

it's ugly out there ... this too shall melt, hopefully soon. we had an inch of rain and sleet before the snow arrived ... let the plowing, shoveling, sliding and falling begin!

happy sewing ...

Pat said...

It is amazing that so many areas around the country have gotten pounded already by snow...and "winter" is still officially 10 days away!!! I didn't realize your daughter had so many people on her staff....that must be a HUGE daycare she operates!!!

Needled Mom said...

That storm is looking pretty wicked on the weather channel. It is a nice day to stay put.

I love those cute magnets. The ideas are endless.

nancy huggins said...

The magnets look so cute and just like real candy..I know how the snow storms can affect your driving..Never fun and very scarey.
And it won't be considered winter until Dec 21st..wish it was true when they say it is spring in March :)

Beth said...

We had rain for hours yesterday then it turned into snow. Not a lot of snow, but I hate when ice is involved in the mess.

Your daughter's gifts for her employees look so good. Love the magnets.

Quilt n Queen said...

I've had enough of winter already... I'm also a passenger breaker and my hand is forever reaching for the dash....as if I could slow the car down! Looking forward to spring and it's still fall. You have a creative daughter...love the peppermint magnets. SEw cute!

Nanette Merrill said...

Catching up. THat's me, always catching up. Love seeing your white fresh snow. These magnets are absolutely darling.

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018