Thursday, November 12

Another finished project......

I even surprised myself that I could finish this in two days! I have a spot for this and that is part of what inspired me to do this little wall quilt designed by Gudrun of GE Designs.


I had another reason to make the quilt and that was to practice using my walking foot. To be honest, I made a few mistakes along the way. The technique is easy but.......using flannel proved to be soft and fun but the flannel "moves" sort of like velvet does (for those of you who have sewn with velvet you know what I mean). When I finished stitching all the pieces for the tree, I realized that it was "skewed" on the batting and sort of leaned to the left. Now this wasn't a real problem as the batting is larger than needed. However, I used plaid on the back of the quilt and it definitely is "skewed" but the quilting looks nice and no one will see the back anyway!
When the quilt was finally finished this afternoon, all I had to do was add buttons. I have four boxes of "theme" buttons like the one in the picture, plus a basket full of my buttons from the 70's and 80's and then I have small drawer full of vintage buttons. Do you think I could find ten buttons that looked right on the quilt? Nope. Those vintage gold balls would have looked great but there was one missing!! I almost gave up and then decided "I am going to finish this now", so I mixed trees and gingerbread men. I'm not liking the trees, though, so will buy something that will replace them next time I'm out shopping.
So, would I do this again? Yes, however, I won't be able to do another one anytime soon. Unfortunately just as I was stitching the border pieces on, my walking foot got "tired" or something. It started "clunk, clunking" and I finally I had to remove it and put my regular foot back on the machine. Then I just pinned and sewed the final border very carefully. I really can't machine stitch that table runner, so I am thinking that I need to go back to the idea of hand-quilting the design I want on it. I do handwork so much better and find it is so much more relaxing. And that's what I have planned for the day on Thursday. I have a wooly project that is calling my name and I am looking forward to lots of hand-stitching!
Tomorrow is Friday, the 13th. For some that's an unlucky day but I have something fun to offer so be sure to stop by. :-)
Sandi

10 comments:

Ida13 said...

It looks good and nice!I love it!

Blogless me said...

For me 13th is one of the very lucky ones - my daughter's birthday. It was a Thursday the year she was born but I love it when it falls on a Friday. I shall surely check your site for the surprise - you are in my Google Reader and I lurk on a daily basis anyway :-). I think I can guess what it is and can't wait but I'll have to. The following days are going to be very busy - cakes, candles, parties,bubbles - you all know the drill!.
I see the lady that commented before me has 13 in her nickname, so I feel I'm not alone in liking this number in defiance of all superstition. BTW one of my favourite fairy tales is Andersen's "The Flowers of Little Ida" and a reason why I would have even considered Ida as one of my daughter's names but my SIL was faster and named my niece Ida. There you go - another reason not to delay having kids.

Have a very lucky Friday, 13th!

Pat said...

Love your completed tree! I have a daughter born on the 13th (of March) and it was a Tuesday that year. On THIS Friday the 13th, I am having surgery on my forehead for a pretty large skin cancer. I am NOT a "doctor" person...so I'm really nervous about it...even though I know it's a minor procedure and everyone laughs at me that I'm nervous about it.

Sarah Vanderburgh said...

It's lovely, Sandy! I'm a little jealous of your button collection as I have recently become infatuated with them and will start to build a small mountain of them now, I'm sure:) Are you going to make Pat's too!?:)

Kaye said...

Sandi, good job on the tree, mine is cut out and today I will put it together. I Love these fun projects that can be done in a day or two.

Latane Barton said...

Good for you, finishing something in a day. It really is a nice quilt. Now, I need to go in my sewing room and see if I can finish something. yeah, right!!

quiltingnana said...

finishing things does give a good feeling!

Crispy said...

Hooray for the quick finish....Boo on the bad walking foot!!

I love Friday the 13th, always a good day for me...I don't have to work LOL.

Crispy

Chookyblue...... said...

oh I have nearly finished mine too......it is much bigger then I thought from looking at the picture.......just need to stitch the binding on and the buttons for the prairie points.........loved making the project and it is something I would make again.........

Dee M said...

Love your tree!

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018