Saturday, April 11

The Real Egg

No plastic eggs here.........these are the real thing!!

I've shown you my miniature Easter Gift Boxes (previous post), but before I made those I made a lot of scenes in real eggs. I was in my early 20's when I decorated the eggs for my first egg tree. Still have all those little egg baskets made from half an eggshell and covered in gingham, then filled with flowers, chicks and bunnies to hang on the branch I gathered in the woods. I also made lots of covered whole eggs like the ones seen in these photos. Sometimes I painted them and sometimes I covered them with fabric. By cutting the fabric on the bias you can get a good fit around the egg. Adding an oval of fabric at the back and then glueing trim around it will hide all your seams. I always have odd bits of jewelry (never throw away earrings that are missing their mate!) and trims that I can use to embellish the eggs. The eggs pictured above were made in the late 1970's.

I still make decorated eggs occasionally but usually as gifts for friends or family. I have a whole box full that are ready to go as gifts to my friends for Christmas next year! The last time I sold any was years ago when my doctor at the time, learned what I had made and ordered almost two dozen for gifts for his friends and family. :-)

That's all for the Easter Eye-Candy for today. I'll see you next week.
It's church in the morning and then we are going to Arlington Haus for brunch. The food there is really good. Can't wait. As much as I enjoy cooking, I love it when someone else cooks!! :-)
Have a blessed Easter filled with JOY!!
Sandi

12 comments:

mzjohansen said...

Fabulous ! I love these eggs! i used to blow out eggs and then paint them - but alas they have all been lost to me! Happy Easter to you too!

Unknown said...

those are lovely!! my mom used to make them too.. unfortunately.. durring our many many moves.. they never survived!

Joyce said...

Beautiful eggs. Enjoy your Easter.
Joyce

Pat said...

Havwe a very happy Easter!

Kritta22 said...

Those are awesome!

I tried making them one year...no good!

WoolenSails said...

You have so many beautiful Easter creations, love them all.

Debbie

Gayle said...

Love the eggs...they brought back some memories of crafting in my youth. :-)

Needled Mom said...

Great eggs! I'll bet they look awesome on the egg tree too.

Pat said...

Very nice eggs and it's wonderful how you have managed to store these safely and keep them to enjoy year after year.

Nanette Merrill said...

Hope you had a nice easter. The eggs are really cute. My mom used to make eggs at easter that were all sugar and had little scenes in them. I'd almost forgotten about that until I saw yours. Nice memory.

xashee's corner said...

i hope you had a WONDERFUL Easter! i LOVE your eggs!! what a talent! i am sure if i tried to cut an egg away, it would crack all up! lol :) Thank you for sharing!! Have an AWESOME day! :)

Samantha said...

It's so wonderful that you still have those eggs. Hope you had a wonderful Easter.

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018