Monday, May 9

What's on the line? ......... and a graduation!

Spring and mild temperatures have finally arrived in Minnesota and that means that spring winds have also arrived. Yesterday afternoon, I headed out to my clothesline to take a picture of this quilt for today's feature...........


and here's what happened as I hung that little baby quilt on the line.......it kept blowing up and down and up and down and then finally........
it came down just enough to snap this picture and then it was off into the wind again. It was at that point that I brought the quilt inside and took a picture of it laying on the floor!  So, what's so special about this quilt? Well, it's a baby quilt that I made right about this time of the year in 1976 for our son Devlin. I love nine-patch blocks and made several from my calico scraps, then cut those cute little animals from a fabric panel and blanket-stitched them to the center. This was the quilt I wrapped him in when we brought him home from the hospital. This is sort of a mom/parent thing..........but isn't it amazing how fast kids grow up? I can still remember how little he was and then how quickly he went from baby to toddler to preschool. Before I knew it he was off to kindergarten and the grade school years flew by so fast and then high school! I wanted to say "whoa"........but there is no stopping time. And now it's 2011 and here he is..........the graduate..........

Last Tuesday evening, he graduated from Metropolitan State University (Minneapolis) with a degree in Finance.  He did most of his schooling at night as he was working full time during the day, plus he's partners in a recording studio enterprise and he kept up with all of this and still earned a 3.81. And yes, this makes me a proud momma but more than proud, I am just happy for him.  I never graduated from college although I did receive a certificate from an airline business school in Minneapolis. There was a part of me that wanted to attend college but I had this idea of a degree in Fashion Design and the guidance counselor at our high school put the damper on that one with......"perhaps you would be better suited for a secretarial career?"  What was awesome to see at the graduation ceremony that night was the number of students of all ages and from all over that were achieving a dream in spite of the odds. I am in awe of anyone who can "put their nose to the grindstone" and stay focused on their dream. And I am especially in awe of my son and his achievement. :-)  Here's one more picture taken that night with his girlfriend, Stacia.
It was a great evening and now.......who knows what the future holds for him?  One thing I do know.........and it's something fun for me.... he's going to let me record a song or two at his studio so for those of you that have wanted to hear me sing.......well, somehow, I'll get a clip and share a tune or two. :-)
The past couple of weeks have been so busy that I haven't really blogged regularly. I have so many photos ready to go and that GO! Baby project is just waiting to be posted, and so much more!!  I'll see ya all tomorrow with something fun and quilty!
Have a great Monday!!
Sandi

11 comments:

Melanie said...

Congrats -- to Mother and Son! Handsome guy.

Pat said...

What a wonderful post...right from the adorable baby quilt blowing in the breeze (wind!!!) to the justifiably proud graduate grown up baby who used that quilt! Having done my teaching degree largely at night, I can attest to the fact that it's not an easy way to do it! I'm glad your son succeeded so well with his degree program and wish him many good things ahead in life. And....I'll look forward to hearing a clip of you singing, too!

annemarie said...

Wow - congrats to your son. I love the little quilt and am anxious to hear you sing!! Oh how I miss a clothesline - nothing like sheets fresh from the clothesline!

JudyCinNC said...

I loved your post - they sure grown up quickly but the memories can never go away. Judy C

Anonymous said...

Love the pics....the storms that are tracking across the state (MN) are bringing even more wind & threatening things like hail and heavy downpours! Good thing you managed the snapshot when you did;-) Great day for quilting.....if I didn't have scheduled a trip to Rochester! Congrats on son's grad!!!

Needled Mom said...

What a wonderful goal for him to reach!!! I know that being wrapped in the lovely quilt when he first started his journey must have shown him all the love he needed for his wings to fly.

Nanette Merrill said...

Great photos. Congrats on the graduation again! Proud proud proud for you. This is a darling quilt.

luv2quilt2 said...

Congratulations to a proud momma. Isn't it wonderful to see them achieve something so wonderful? My last child graduated on Saturday with his MBA. I really wanted to cheer for him.

Judy C said...

Congrats to you son,they do grow up fast don't they.
I loved your post, funny I wanted to go to college for fashion design too, but my dad thought I should pick something else. I never did get there. No regrets, married to a wonderfull guy, three beautifull successfull daughters, 3beautiful grandbabies...life is grand.

Beth said...

The quilt is so cute! I love the animals that you added in the center.
Congrats to your son on his degree. My youngest will get hers this weekend. I can't believe how fast they grow.

Crossroads said...

Oh greatest of great news! Congrats to him, and really good score graduated in finance. We all need his finance-related advices in today's hard times;)

And, hope you had a very happy Mothers' Day, Sandi.

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018