Tuesday, July 13

Wooly fun comin' up!

I'm back! Returned home to Minnesota late yesterday afternoon. We had a great time at the Lehigh Alumnae banquet and the Linn Reunion was even better! I have lots of pictures to share but I was tired when I got home and didn't get the photos downloaded to my computer until midnight. I was too tired to choose photos and write a post about the events so I decided I would share one little thing that is coming up..........and it's some "wooly fun". Actually, I'm always stitching up some "wooly fun" or some fabric fun but to be specific this "wooly fun" began with this post. Just check it out and you'll see that I have added a basket to this vintage wool piece................


You'll also notice there is a big muslin circle laying on the vintage piece that has crazy wool pieces stitched to it. It's the start of a fun "wooly" project that Brenda over at PumpkinPatchPrimitives has started. It's a wool crazy pincushion Round Robin that is based on Joanne Mullally's book "Wool Crazy". Also joining this Round Robin will be fellow bloggers, Michele of RockingChairStitches and Kaaren ThePaintedQuilt. I've never participated in a Round Robin before so I am excited about this. I also don't usally do raw edges on my wool so this is a "outside of my comfort zone" project. For a number of years, I have enjoyed traditional crazy quilting with silks and velvet and all sorts of fancy fabrics and trims. I love to do the stitch and flip method and work my way around my muslin block until it's covered with fabrics and not a raw edge is in site. Then I can add pretty laces and trims and fancy embroidery stitches. On this piece, the raw edges will be hidden by the fancy embroidery stitches and wool applique shapes. My box of crazy wool scraps went with me to Iowa and on Sunday evening, after all the festivities were over, I relaxed with a bit of stitching and finished up the base shape you see in the photo. It's ready for me to add the first applique piece that will fit my theme of Autumn Harvest. Then I just have to mail it off to Brenda and watch it as it travels along and then back to me! Yep, some "wooly fun is comin' up"!!! And speaking of "wooly fun", I am working on a "Christmas in July" project made from wool that I'll be sharing at guilt group meeting on Thursday night. And tomorrow, I'm going to show you that wintery project that has a bit of wool in it, too, so stay tuned. :-) I'll get to the reunion pics at the end of the week as it will take me a bit to choose the ones that will best tell the story of this past weekend. :-)
Have a great day!
Sandi

6 comments:

Crispy said...

Welcome Home Sandi!! It will be interesting to see the end results of the round robin :0)

Crispy

Pat said...

I'm glad you are home safely and had a nice time. That new project sounds like a fun one for you and I'm sure you will love it AND make something beautiful as the end result!

Pat said...

Nice work, Sandi. I like working with wools also, because of no raveling, no turned edges. lol
Thank you for sharing.
Happy Quilting!

Winona said...

Glad you made it home safely and had a good time. Winona

Love Of Quilts said...

Your wool project is going to be a lot of fun....be watching for your pictures. Trish

GeeGee said...

Glad you had such a nice trip. It will be interesting to follow your round robin process. I know it will be beautiful!

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018