Wednesday, May 5

The gift of friendship

Yesterday, I showed you birthday gifts I had wrapped for my Tuesday Crazy stitching friends. They were simple little things chosen for each friend but as I drove home this afternoon, I thought once again that the true gift we all share is friendship! The little gifts are just "icing on the cake". :-) Being friends and enjoying time with each other.......that's the real gift!!
We all enjoyed our lunch and caught up on the latest news. Then the birthday girls opened their gifts and we had a bit of "show 'n tell".
Here is some of what we shared..........Kate is all smiles because she finished embroidering this tablecloth. She bought it at a thrift shop five years ago and has been stitching away at it for several months now.


Pandora shared this little wallhanging that is almost finished. She used a new technique called "Fabulous Fractures" and if you go here, you can find it on Amazon. She shared a bit on how the fabric is cut and pieced to get this neat look. I have some fabric that I would like to use and give this a try, so I think I will have to get the book. :-)

Adella has been busy making things for her Spring fundraiser at her church...........
like these gorgeous totebags........
and this cute little "mock dress" to hold clothespins or plastic bags.
Adorable!
The afternoon flew by, as it always does. How comforting, though, just to be able to sit and stitch, chat a bit, enjoy the gift of friendship. Makes me smile. :-)
Okay, so I got a little sentimental but that's just me. I get sentimental about a lot of things..........even rick rack! LOL! See all these pretty colors of good old-fashioned rickrack.........reminds me of the 50's and 60's and so many dresses and crafty projects! I love real rick rack and by that I mean........100% cotton rick rack. I found all of these at the thrift shop over in Arlington last Wednesday, the day I was out running errands. I was looking for a teacup for a pincushion swap and I didn't find one but then I noticed a bin filled with rick rack. Sometimes there are a few cards of rick rack but this was like hitting the rick rack lottery!
I bought almost all of them at 25 cents a package. There were so many colors, that I immediately saw a project. I only needed some linen to complete my good find. My luck was still with me when I stopped at JoAnn Fabric's a couple days later and found a beautiful beige linen on sale at half-price! This is my Mother's Day treat to myself! Come Sunday evening, I'm going to start the little project that I can see in my mind. It will be fun and I will share it when it's finished.
I'm headed to Arlington today for my yearly exam so I might just have to "treat" myself to another stop at the thrift shop. A girl just has to have fun ya know. :-)
Have a good day!
Sandi

16 comments:

Pat said...

I enjoy seeing your gals and what they make. What a FIND with that rick-rack!!! I am a day behind on blogs, so I am reading this one before I will read your previous post. Some days I just don't get to read all "my" blogs and yesterday was one of those days!

Joanne Lendaro said...

What a wonderful post, you are very lucky to have so many friends in your life! The show n tell items are fantastic, really like the clothes pin/bag holder-too cute! And the ric-rack!! Wow!! Can't wait to see the finished projects!

Crispy said...

What a lovely day you had. The projects are beautiful. I love the little clothes pin holder!! I wonder what you will be making with all that rick rack :0)

Crispy

luv2quilt2 said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful day, and what a treasure trove of rick rack!! I can't wait to see what you're planning to do with it.

Owl Lady said...

Friends - what a treasure, especially those who have been your friends for years!

Anonymous said...

I love this post, Sandy! First, your friends and all of their goodies are incredible (the fractured one made me wonder if something was wrong with my monitor -- very, intereesting!). Then the rick rack really caught my eye. I'd love to find a stash like that to use on my little ATCs I've just started to make. I also look for tea cups and have one from a thrift shop to do something with. Where is there a swap? Or, here's an idea, I'll swap my teacup for some of that rick rack. LOL!

Lori Holt said...

Wow Sandi...
Yes a girl does have to have fun
and it looks like you did just that!
It's so nice to spend the afternoon
with friends and I think it's fabulous
that you found the real ric rac and
rescued it for a new project.
I only like real ricrac too!
x
Lori

Sarah Vanderburgh said...

Love your rick rack!!! What a great find. Can't wait to see the project you have planned.

Melanie said...

OK two things-- I love that clothes pin bag... if I ever stumble on that pattern.. I just might have to get it. And what a treat with the rick rack--- everyone love a bargin. I'm glad you treated yourself.

Needled Mom said...

Such talented women!!!!!!

Love all of that Ric-Rac. What are you going to do with it? FUN!!

Sandra :) said...

I can't wait to see your linen project - hubby and I were Stateside last weekend and I picked up a yard of linen @ Joanns as well (yep - half price!) - I've wanted to try something linen-y for a while now, so I'll be waiting to see what you create!! If it's rick racked, it's gotta be good, lol!

Love Of Quilts said...

Enjoyed your post...we all need a little fun...I'm all for the thrift shops and goodwill.Trish

Beth said...

Looks like a great day with your friends. make sure you thank them for sharing their show and tell with us.
You did hit the ric rac jackpot idn't you? Can't wait to see what you are going to do with it.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

That certainly was the rick-rack jackpot Sandy!

Cleary (Cie) said...

Oh sounds like you had a wonderful day with all the ladies. I have some rickrac here that I don't use so I will send them to you as soon as I find all of them.
Huggs,
Cleary K.

Rae Ann said...

It is fun to see those special times with special friends. Love the goodies that everyone shared... but oh, dear... I am just dooling over your rick rack and trying hard not to covet it! Thanks for sharing!

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018