Thursday, May 28

The Thrift Shop Stop

I told you yesterday that I would share my finds from the Thrift Shop stop that I made yesterday after I left the dentist. Almost forgot, so here it is..........

As I went in the door of the Lutheran Home Thrift Shop in Belle Plaine, I told myself you can find just "one thing" to take out the door. Oh, sure, and I was only a few feet in the shop when I spotted the little basket (Dept. 56 it says-did they make baskets?) that will become a pincushion. It's bone china and is light as a feather. That was it, my "one thing". Riiiiggghhht............because then I saw the Chinese teapot and cup. I picked it up and put it back, then picked it up and said "well, it would look so good with some of my other Oriental things". :-) That was going to be all and then I passed the fabrics and books and there was this piece of vintage upholstery velveteen and that needlework book. I don't do needlework but I "see penny rugs" in those designs. Plus
the foreward was by thee Rose Kennedy. By this time, I was juggling too many things and had to get a cart. I found the little Sunbonnet items on my way to get the cart. I am not sure what their purpose is but they are well done. Someone did them in a ceramics class because their initials are carved in the bottom of each one. Do you suppose they were napkin holders? Two toothpick holders for the table? Square candleholders? :-) Who knows? And who knows what those rhinestone things are? There were three of them at just 50cents each and there's a loop at the back of the little top piece. There was no chain with them and no earring pieces. They look pretty when placed on black velvet so I think I will make them "Art". :-) I had a very fruitful shopping trip and instead of coming out with just "one thing", I came out of the shop with just "one bag". Hee hee!

Now to the teapots in the photo above. These also came from the LH Thrift Shop but were all bought on seperate trips. I found the little one last summer, then another trip found the medium one and when I went to the dentist in December, a quick stop at the Thrift Shop yeilded the large one and it had it's lid!! I am going to use the two without lids for plants or dried flowers. And then again, the small one might end up as a pincushion. Who knows?!! :-) This little thrift shop is my favorite of all the ones I frequent. Don't miss it, if you are passing through Belle Plaine, MN.

One last thing......earlier today I took the quilt top for the small Emma's quilt down to the post office and gave it to Connie, Emma's Grandma. I added two borders to it and Connie is going to see if the ladies who handquilted the large fundraising quilt for Emma (see it here ) will also quilt this one. I had planned to machine quilt it, but after seeing the lovely job the quilting group did, it didn't seem right to machine quilt this one. Plus, I just didn't have time. The fundraiser is this Saturday and you can learn more about it here . Connie said there are more items for auction than space to put them. Here's hoping that the entire auction is a huge success!! Sometime next week, I'll give an update on the quilt at auction and also identify each block by it's maker. I think there were 37 of you that kindly donated blocks for this project and I thank you one and all!!
That's all for now. See you late tomorrow afternoon with Day 4 Celebration fun!
Sandi

13 comments:

Pat said...

LOVE the thrift shop finds and the small quilt for Emma is wonderful. I agree that the hand-quilters should do that one, too, if they are willing and able to do it.

Crispy said...

Well one bag isn't bad LOL. I can't tell how deep the sunbonnet pieces are but would be cute for holding your drawing pencils and such.

Crispy

Guilitta said...

I like your things and I would like to win.

Greeting Guilitta

Latane Barton said...

Great finds!! You did really well to come out with one bag. A thrift store is so enticing!!

House of Mouse said...

There is no way those sunbonnets should stay with you...they need a home in Oregon...I think it says so right on them somewhere.... you really need to check! LOL How come I can't ever find stuff like that when I hit the thrift store...all I find is junk! LOL

Anett

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Anett,
Too funny! I bought them for you......just because. A few years ago, a good friend sent me flowers for no special occasion and she said.....just because. Works for me!

xashee's corner said...

oh what FUN!! GREAT finds!! and i LOVE that you can look at something and see a pincushion!! :) oh and a big CONGRATS on your blogaversary too!! Thanks soo much for sharing! Have an AWESOME Friday! :)

Jocelyn said...

Great finds! I found a tea pot yesterday at the thrift store myself. Such fun :-)

Cleary (Cie) said...

I went to my thrift store Wednesday and got a free T-Shirt from a box of T-shirts they had there for free, can't beat that. I love the little basket it will make a really pretty pincusin.
Huggs,
Cleary

House of Mouse said...

In case Ya'll haven't figured it out yet. Sandi really is a very special and talented lady. I am proud to know her.

Anett

Wendy said...

Your a women after my own heart, great finds...Love thrift shops...And yard sales....My sister and I just made plans to hit a few in the morning.....Maybe...I can fill "ONE BAG" for you! Have a great weekend....

Wendy

Sarah or Semmy said...

I am jealous! Shame on me but the thrift shops available to you have such interesting items. Not where I live. Sarah e4e823l@yahoo.com

Ida13 said...

I don't like tea,so I don't like teapots eather. My father did. He drank tea for breakfast,for dinner,....

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018