Saturday, May 23

Emma's Quilt is finished!

Connie, our local Postlady, called me on Thursday afternoon and asked me to come to the post office on Friday morning for a photo taking session for our local newspaper, The Henderson Independent. The handquilting was finished by Esther and her quilting friends and Connie had finished the binding, so it is ready to be taken to the Fundraiser for her grandaughter, Emma. If you are in the area of Waconia, MN on Saturday, May 30th, you can stop by and bid on this beautiful quilt. Just click here and you'll find all the info. That's Connie in the photo with the quilt and then I took a photo of just the quilt. If you don't see your blocks in this quilt, remember that I took about a dozen blocks to make a small quilt for Emma and her family as a wall quilt that they can keep. The large quilt will be auctioned and monies raised go for costs related to Emma's medical care.

The ladies who did the hand-quilting were led by Esther Wroge. She gathered together Eldora Miller, Marilyn Jensen, Kathy Schrader, Elaine Graupmann, Kathy Stuedemann, and Ardeen Graupmann, Bev Wilkens, Mary Lou Wroge, Leona Wroge, Luella Prehn, Sharon Dummer, Donna Schmidt, Adeline Miller and Violet Zebell to get the hand-quilting finished in record time!!

I took two close-ups of their quilting work. The fan above is a favorite block and was made by Claire who is a cancer survivor and wanted to contribute blocks.

And I loved the simple way they quilted in the center of most of the star blocks. Much of the quilting is "stitch in the ditch" and that allows the design of the blocks and the colors to really "pop"!
When the photo taking was all finished, James, the reporter who will write an article about the quilt gathered info from Connie and me on how the quilt came to be. I'll be sure to link you to that article when it appears in next week's issue of the paper.
After that, I came home to continue some closet cleaning I've been doing this week. I am organizing vintage linens and quilt tops and such, although "playing with them" would be a more appropriate term. I took photos of some things that I'll share as the weeks go buy but I decided to pick one to show you why I'm having so much fun. This is a small tablecloth that was probably used on a cardtable. The color is just as vibrant as you see in the picture and the embroidery is just beautiful. It's in very good condition and has the same flower design on all four corners.
I am not usually an orange fan, but I absolutely love this piece. I have loads of treasures to share, so keep watching for more.
Time to turn out the lights as my grandson will be here at 10:00 tomorrow morning!
Sandi

12 comments:

Jeanette said...

The quilt looks great. So nice to see it all finished. Hugs, Jeanette

Pat said...

The ladies did a very nice job with the quilting. I am honored to have been a small part of this effort and I think you did a terrific job of putting the blocks together. I love your vintage card-table linen, too. Was it done by anyone in your family?

Crispy said...

Emma's quilt is so beautiful!! I never realized how large it was until this picture. The rounded corners are just perfect too.

Crispy

Needled Mom said...

Sandi, the quilt looks gorgeous. What a fabulous and meaningful job everyone did on it. I can't wait to see the link on the whole story.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

I hope the quilt does it's magic in raising lots of money for a good cause. It is beautiful.
I love the tablecloth and you have my attention in waiting to see what else is in that closet!

Chris Daly said...

The quilt turned out beautifully! I hope you raise loads of money for Emma.

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Emma's quilt is breath taking. Great job to all those that contributed!

JuliaB said...

Hi Sandi. That is AMAZING!! Hope it raises lots of money! I expect there will be lots of bidders. xx

Micki said...

The quilt is amazing and the quilting was beautiful. I hope that it is a success!
Micki

Kaye said...

Sandi, the quilt is quite beautiful, its amazing the job you did putting it all together.I am thrilled to have been a small part of it. Sure hopes it raises a lot of money for Emma's care. Give her a hug!

GeeGee said...

The quilt is beautiful. You did an amazing job of putting it together and the ladies did a fantastic fast job of quilting it. I am so proud to have been a small part and hope it raises lots of money for Emma's care. I pray for her healing.

Nanette Merrill said...

Emma's quilt is stunning. Just stunning. What a great story goes with it.

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018