Monday, December 6

"What's on the line?"

There's just a little Christmas tabletopper on the line today. And, yes, it's not really on the line today because along with being too snowy here in Minnesota, it is also very cold!! Only going to be in the teens today so it's a good day to stay in and do some more Christmas decorating. I am still working on my tree. Half the fun of putting the ornaments on the tree is remembering the memory behind each ornament. :-)
Let's say that you have all your decorating done and you'd like to make a tabletopper similar to the one in the photo above. It's super easy! I taught this little project years ago in a community ed class and this is a sample from that class. We made a lap quilt from several blocks of this size but just one of the blocks can easily be made up as a tabletopper for any holiday or occasion. The thing that makes this tabletopper unique is the doily in the center. I bought mine at a gift shop, but any doily will do. This might be a nice way to highlight an antique doily from mom or grandma. I did all the piecing and the hand-quilting and then when that was all done, I lightly hand-stitched the doily to the finished tabletopper. To make this tabletopper.......
Here's all you do.
1. Choose two fabrics - a solid and a print - and cut two 9" squares from each fabric.
2. Place one solid and one print with right sides together and mark with pencil from corner to corner so that you are creating two triangles. Repeat with the second piece of solid and print. I'll bet you've figured out that you are going to make large half-square triangles. :-)
3. It's time to stitch the triangle together. Sew a 1/4" seam to each side of the line you drew on each set of blocks.
4. When sewing is complete, cut along pencil line and fold open and you will have a square!
5. Press all four squares (light to dark) and then sew them together to create the tabletopper square.
6. You can cut a square of fabric that is larger than your topper and just fold it over for the binding......or.......cut a square of fabric the same size as your tabletopper and then add a bias binding to the topper.
7. Optional............Add center doily and hand-stitch in place.
If you try this and have questions, just send me an e-mail. I would have done a photo tutorial but I can't fit that one in right now. For a variety of reasons, I'm a bit behind in getting my decorations up so I need to stay focused on that and can always do a tutorial in some other holiday colors at another time. :-) So are you all done decorating or, like me, you are still in the midst of ornaments, garland and tree lights? I'm hoping to finish the tree decorating later today and then I'll post a picture.
My week is off to a good start. Our son, who has had pneumonia, is getting better and I'm glad to say, he'll be back at work this week. Of course, like a typical mother hen, I reminded him to be very careful and not overdo. It is hard not to be a mother hen. :-)
Here's wishing you a good Monday!
Sandi

14 comments:

Pat said...

I'm glad your son is doing so much better now. The table-topper is very nice......I can see it being done in many different color schemes!

Jocelyn said...

Very cute quilt! And yes tell your son not to over do. Pneumonia is not something to play around with.

Crispy said...

I'm so happy to hear your son is doing so much better!! Nothin' wrong with being a mother hen :0)

I don't do a lick of decorating and it sure makes the holidays much more relaxing. Now, if I had family around it would be a different story :0)

Crispy

Mommarock said...

You aren't the only one who is behind in decorating! I have to get my DH to get them out of the attic. That didn't happen this weekend, so my son who is on vacation this week, will be getting them out of the attic today :) YAY!

Mishka said...

I have a weakness for delicate doilies .. the more intricate and fragile the more I seem to love it. Craft fairs are a great place to find them. I love the idea of adding one to a quilt.

Needled Mom said...

Glad to read that your son is feeling better. We can all be the mother hen when it comes to our kids.

Your table topper looks lovely. It would have been fun to see it on the line with all of that snow. I remember hanging sheets out and having them freeze stiff. We'd bring them in and drape them over the radiators.

Kate said...

Sandy, what a lovely table topper and a great way to make use of the doilies I've got! And so easy to make!!! Thanks for sharing ... you have the greatest ideas. Merry Christmas to you and yours and may 2011 be full of love, luck, and laughs for you.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Glad your boy is better. Your topper is so cute!

No decorating here, we are spending Christmas at my daughters so I'm giving my DH a break from the attic.

luv2quilt2 said...

So glad to hear that your son is on the mend. I love doilies, and this would be a great way to highlight a special one.

Sarah Vanderburgh said...

Great idea for displaying a special doily, Sandi. I have several that just take up space in with my Christmas decorations. They were each made by someone special. Now maybe I will get them out and on a quilt! Glad your son is feeling better too.

Charity U said...

We also enjoy putting up the ornaments each year, associating the memories with them....
Thanks for explaining how to do the topper! You made it very clear. :)

elisekayem said...

Love this table topper!! I'll have to keep this in mind for next year! :)

nellana said...

Your table topper is very pretty. I wish I had your talent.

Nima said...

Lovely table topper. thank you for reminding at this time of the year. Last year i made a cross stitch centered one i think this doily idea is great to try

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018