Tuesday, December 28

Projects I made for Christmas gifts!

At last, I can show you some of what I was stitching on the two weeks before Christmas. I made a few things for my daughter, Collette, and my son's girlfriend, Stacia. First up is what I made for Collette. This is just a mat that could be a hot pad for a 9x 13 pan or a candlemat. The fabrics are Fruitcake by Moda.
I really liked the fabrics on the bolt but when I got the mat stitched and quilted I wasn't so sure that it was the colors my daughter would like. I only made a mat for her as I had the funny feeling there was too much green in this for her decorating. Plus, there was blue in it and I had the feeling that wasn't going to be a color she'd want either. Not that she's picky. I just had a feeling. It was good I "had a feeling" because I was right. She loved the design but not the green and blue so we're going to pick some other fabrics so I can make her a set of items like I made for Stacia in the coffee print fabrics I used for her projects.

In the meantime, Collette is going to use this one as a candlemat. Both girls liked the projects. Stacia was exceptionally patient with my stitching plans for the coffee fabric as I gave her the fabrics for Christmas two years ago and it took me this long to finally do something with them!!!!
The mat that Stacia is holding and that is in the picture below is for her kitchen counter so she can set her coffeemaker on it.......although, I gave her a candle, too, just in case she prefers to use it as a candlemat. I like options. ;-)

I also made her a "mugrug" from some of the scraps and even had enough to make one for me, too. I also made double-thick hotpads/potholders from another coffee-print fabric that I bought for her last summer. I really need to make some of these for me, too. I have some round hotpads but they don't accomodate casserole dishes very well. And then, I made coasters, too. They were fun and easy to make. I just cut circles from 5" squares of fabric and cut bias strips of fabric for the binding. I used batting in each coaster and had fun stitching the swirls on each coaster.


So that is what I managed to stitch and finish prior to Christmas. I started a couple other projects but they didn't get finished. Look for them in a future post. :-)
Let's see.....I think tomorrow, I'll let you know what I got from Mr. Claus. Nothing fancy but something I will really use a lot. My librarian, Kathy, gave me the idea and Mr. Claus took the hint. :-)
See ya on Wednesday!
Sandi

17 comments:

cottonreel said...

Lovely presents . I espesially like the coffeecup fabric--cottonreel

Kaye said...

I also like the coffeecup fabric, but the rest are great also. I am sure they are really appreciated

Jocelyn said...

I love your expresso mug rug. My daughter is a BIG coffee drinker and would love that one.

free indeed said...

I like your idea of a mat for under the coffee pot...might steal that one! Great gifts!

Crispy said...

Great presents though you will have to make Collette another one in "her" colors LOL.

Crispy

Michele Bilyeu said...

All so cute! And I do love that you mentioned that a larger version of the mugmat can be a candlemat or a bake pan mat...I have to remember that one! I've done the mug ones, the coffee pot ones...lots of others...not a bake pan. Love it!

Needled Mom said...

Nice projects, Sandi. I really like that coffee set, but the Figgy Pudding looks fabulous too.

Kathy said...

Very cute! I love what you did. I may have to make me a pad to go under my coffee pot -- great idea!

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Great ideas!! They turned out super cute. *writing this idea down on my list*

Beth said...

Love all the projects. (My favorite fabric...theone Colette didn't care for so much). I especially like how you did the coasters. I need new kitchen stuff and you have given me some great ideas.

andsewon said...

All your projects were awesome! I have a pal that would love all the coffee themed ones!
Lola

C said...

Lovely Lovely Lovely!

Pat said...

Very nice gifts! I've been away from reading blogs for a couple of days, but I'm back now...will have to check back and see what I've missed. :)

Unknown said...

These are so cute!!!

Comfort Cove Designs said...

beautiful gifts!! I just looooooove those coffee fabrics!!!!!

I hope to post to my blog today or tomorrow some of the projects I made up as gifts this year!!!

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea

Rita said...

These projects you have made keep floating around in my head. I think...could I make those? Love the fabrics! You sure have inspired us with your beautiful work. Any place special we should look for these fabrics? Thank you.

elizabeth @ twelvecrafts said...

Those coffee cup fabrics are so great. I've got to find some like that for coffee mug cozies.

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018