Friday, August 13

"Sew Many Possibilities" Tablerunner - Introduction

I promised a tutorial for a table runner that is based on this project...............
This is going to be a challenge project in my Seasons BOM Yahoo group (click on the Angel button on the sidebar to join my Yahoo group). I wanted to do a brief tutorial so that members could see the steps to making this simple piece. I titled this runner "Sew Many Possiblities" because I am going to show you the very basic pattern pieces for this project today. Then in subsequent posts, I am going to share the many "possiblities" for how a basic design can so very different just by changing the cut of a piece or the fabric, etc. Consider this post the "introduction" to this project. This will be especially good for beginner's but anyone who enjoys sewing will have fun with this project.

Preparation:
You will need to gather fabric, supplies and tools.
Fabric:
You can make this runner from your stash. If you don't have any stash on hand then two fat quarters and a half-yard of fabric (this will include backing) is what you will need for the runner.
Supplies:
Thread to coordinate with fabric
Batting (I love Quilter's Dream and use either poly or cotton) - one piece 17 x 30" (slightly larger than actual dimensions of runner)
Tools:
Rotary cutter, mat and ruler
Scissors

Before you begin.........
Take a look at the photo below. This is the lay-out that you will be working toward. Use this photo for reference. You'll see it again after you have cut your pieces. :-)
Step 1:
Cut one 12-1/2" square from the fabric that you wish to be your center square.
Step 2:
Cut two rectangles 5" x 12-1/2". I folded my fat quarter and cut two at the same time.
Step 3:
Cut the following strips from the fabric that will be used for sashing.
Cut 4 strips that measure 2-1/2" x 12-1/2"
Cut 2 strips that measure 2-1/2" x 29-1/2"
Note: at this time, you may also cut your backing piece which will measure 16-1/2" x 29-1/2"
Step 4:
Take all the pieces that you have cut and lay them out so that they are placed in the lay-out that you see in the photo below.
Step 5:
Take the 5 x 12-1/2" rectangles and sew a 12-1/2" sashing strip to each side of the rectangle as shown in this photo. Press.
And right here I must ask your forgiveness for there is no photo of Step 6 because I got so excited to sew this together that I forgot to take Step 6 and Step 7 photos..........sooooooo.........
please read and pretend there are photos. :-)
Step 6:
Take the 12-1/2" square and sew it in the center of the two pieces that you stitched in Step 5. Then press.
Step 7:
Sew the 2-1/2" strips to the top and bottom of the piece that you stitched in Step 6. This finishes the piecing of your tablerunner top. You should have a piece that looks something like this..............
I was working on this project at Bonny's Retreat and we were busy chatting and doing show and tell and so I didn't get a good picture of the final stitched tablerunner top. Just ignore the red item in the upper corner (it's a mini wallet, my favorite new pattern from Valorie Wells and I'll be sharing about it in a future post). Then there is that bit of crazy quilting that is in the lower left corner and that is a needlecase project from a Mary Graham pattern (also something I'll share about in a future post).
Okay, so now you have a completed tablerunner top and you have some decisions to make. Do you want to embellish it with any fusible appliques or do you just want to quilt it? That's part of the challenge of this project. I have given you the basic steps to creating a simple tablerunner and now you can make it your own. If you make the runner just as described above and add no other embellishments, then this piece can provide an excellent "slate" for practicing either machine or hand-quilting.
So, to my Seasons BOM Yahoo group, read this post but check in next week for some other ideas and then the stitching fun can begin! And if you are reading this and you aren't in my Yahoo group, just remember that I will be sharing other variations of this basic pattern so watch for the many ways you can vary this design!
Have a great weekend! My grandson is here visiting and we are planning a stitching project with a football theme. Of course, I'll share photos when I can. :-)
Sandi

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I am dreaming of making a new project with hexis... I have seen so many lovely ideas on the net.
Thanks for showing the tutorial for this Table Runner.
Very Pretty.
Gina

Needled Mom said...

Great tutorial, Sandi.

Have a wonderful visit.

Pat said...

Your tutorial is wonderful and if you had to miss a couple of photos, those were the ones to miss as it was easy to follow even without them!

Rae Ann said...

This is a wonderful tutorial Sandi. I would love you to create something like this for Stash Manicure. Just hoping...

julieQ said...

This is so pretty and tempting, Sandi! I love those flowers...thank you for sharing your talent with others.

Simone de Klerk said...

What a lovely tablerunner! And thank you for the tutorial! I think I would turn one flower around, so that there is no 'upper' side. Look forward to your other variations.
Have a lovely weekend.

John'aLee said...

I love your table runner. I have been going through several blogs tonight and can't believe all the different posts on hexis! I must do a post of my own. I have been demoing and selling the plastic templates for years for these things. They are so fun and addictive aren't they?
Thanks for sharing your tutorial.
Love your blog too!

Tracey said...

I love this post of your very much, and im a fan of hexi`s

Thankyou

Nanette Merrill said...

What a great way to use the hexagons. Love this.

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018