Monday, August 9

What's on the line?

This past Saturday afternoon, my neighbor, Judy, called to say she had been to the Sibley County Fair and saw that I had won four Purple Grand Champion ribbons. When I got to the fair yesterday afternoon, I discovered I had won five of them! ...........
I could hardly believe it! I was hoping my heart penny rug might earn a purple but never imagined that my quilty projects would do this well. You've seen all of these on my blog before but just to refresh your memory......
The heart penny rug is one of my designs and is called "Connecting Hearts". I've made several variations of this one as I love hearts. I made one for my daughter in these same colors and finally finished this one for me. :-)
The basket table runner is a Thimbleberries pattern that is no longer available. The basket and leaves are done in fusible applique with hand-blanket stitch and the flowers are yo-yo's. I hand-quilted it and added just a narrow border.
The tulip pillow is another of my designs. You already know that I love, love, love tulips. :-) I designed the block and then just made up the rest of the pillow pattern as I sewed. :-)
The long wall-hanging is a pattern by Pat Sloan called "Starblooms". All the pieces are done in fusible applique and then blanket stitched by hand. I hand-quilted the piece and gave it a narrow binding to frame it. I really like this piece and love how it looks when it hangs on the wall. The basket fabric was perfect. I felt I did a reasonable job of quilting it, and the same for the Thimbleberries table runner, but never imagined that either would earn Grand Champion ribbons. I wasn't even sure they could win a blue ribbon.
The purse is a design by Nanette of Freda's Hive. It's hand-quilted with Perle cotton. The inside has some nice finishing detail and I suspect that is what the judges noted on this one.
On an interesting note...........these purple ribbons weren't the only purple that I saw this past weekend. I went grocery shopping in Mankato on Friday afternoon and everywhere you went there was purple and gold because the Vikings were in town for training camp. And as I passed through the produce aisle at my Cub (grocery) store, just one aisle ahead of me was a big Minnesota Viking in a purple shirt! It's not uncommon to see the guys at various places around town. I didn't know then that so much purple would be in my future. LOL!
So, in addition to the items in the photos above, here are some items that won first place Blue ribbons........
All of these are my own designs.........the little wool patriotic candle mat, the mini school-days wall hanging, my dresser scarf made from scraps a friend didn't want (all hand-pieced), a tote-bag that I made just last weekend at Bonny's retreat (more on that when I post the final retreat photos) and my needlecase made from some of the wool that Jacob and I painted last summer.
I also entered a small art item that earned a red ribbon and a pincushion that didn't place. More on those when I post County Fair pictures tomorrow. Then on Wednesday, I'll go back to retreat photos. :-)
It was so hot when I went out to hang these things on the line today, that I felt like I had walked out into an oven. I am amazed at this long stretch of super hot weather that we are having here. I simply can't recall this many days of 90 degree temps. I am so thankful to live in an air-conditioned home. I spent the afternoon in my sewing room and was able to finish up a project that I'll share on the line next Monday. :-)
See you tomorrow for a visit to the Sibley County Fair!
Sandi

12 comments:

Phyllis in Minnesota said...

Congratulations on all those purple and blue ribbons!!! Great job. I've never been to your country fair but enjoy Mn. county fairs and 4H both as a member and as a leader - Pennington Co., Ramsey Co. and now I live in Washington Co.
Keep on quilting, Phyllis

Sue said...

Congratulations on all those ribbons. I really, really love the star blooms wall hanging.

Melissa said...

Wow!! You really pulled them in. I particularly like the dresser scarf - very pretty muted colors.

Nanette Merrill said...

Yayyy. You're a winner!. How fun. I'm super proud of you. And my bag you made won, too!!!! What a cool thing. I always love to see what is hanging on your line.

I got my sweet gift today. Thank you so much! I love all of it. It brings me "joy". You're a sweetheart Sandi. Thanks so much. I'm going to blog about it this week. I can't wait to show it off. You're such a good friend.

Crispy said...

Very Cool Sandi!! Congratulations!

Crispy

Pat said...

YIPPEE!!!! I am SO happy for you to win all those ribbons!!! You do such quality work......and I'm glad the judges properly acknowledged that!

Needled Mom said...

Fabulous job!!! Your work is so beautiful and I am glad they recognized the fact.

Want to trade some 60s for 90s?????

Vivian said...

Congratulations on all the well-deserved ribbons, Sandi. Purple and blue -- what a lovely color combination.
You have some real treasures on the line today.

Beth said...

Fantastic wins at the fair. You earned every one with your wonderful projects.

Winona said...

Wow Sandi! Great projects on your line today. Congrats on all the ribbons. You earned them. Thanks for sharing with us. Winona

Love Of Quilts said...

All your items are so nice...I'm glad you had ribbons for your work...congrat to you. God Bless Trish

Sarah Vanderburgh said...

Congratulations, Sandi! A little late in reading your post, but wow! I didn't know there were purple ribbons! I had only heard of the blue county fair ribbons. We have a fair at a small town close to us that I went to see last year for the first time. My kids liked it too - including the animals. Fantastic projects. It must make you so happy that your own designs were recognized as well. Thanks for sharing a great line post today!! And every week:)

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018