Monday, July 26

What's on the line?

Good Monday morning everyone! If you follow my blog regularly, you may recognize this quilt. I shared a photo of it last year in a September post (go here if you want to read that post). It's been on my mind this weekend because I was preparing the letter that will go out to my quilty friends about my upcoming September retreat at Villa Maria. Thinking of the Villa made me think of Carol who handles all the retreat arrangements. And that made me think of this quilt that she gave me a few years ago during one of my retreats. The quilt belonged to Carol's husband's family and was brought from Pennsylvania when the family came to Minnesota many years ago. The family's last name was Morgan. That's all Carol knows about it. She put it in my hands and now I am the "caretaker" of the quilt. I just love scrappy quilts and so any more words are not necessary.......just enjoy the photos........





While the quilt is actually quite worn, I don't mind. There are so many wonderful fabrics in it that it is fun just to study all the different prints and colors. Makes me smile. :-) And then I wonder who made it......were the fabrics from family clothing.........did the woman buy the fabrics......or did several women contribute to the blocks? Oh, how I would love to know the history behind this quilt and so many others. This reminds me that I should get busy and put labels on more of my quilts!

You may notice a bit of a change in my blog. I decided to try one of the new templates that blogger recently added. I think I like it. Also, there is a button for "Patches 4 Lissa". If you are a quilter and have a bit of time and fabric, you might like to add your block to this great project that Jane is coordinating. Click the button to learn more.

I had a busy weekend and never got the rest of my visit to Sue's posted for you all. That will come in my next post. Have a good Monday and a great start to the week! It's the last week in July!! Can you believe it!! One more month til September and cooler temperatures!

Sandi

16 comments:

Pat said...

I love this quilt....string blocks. (And we all thought we were clever and doing something "new" when we started doing string blocks!!! LOL) I like the new look on your blog...I've been too timid to explore the new templates for mine. I'll have to get brave and try it soon.

Melanie said...

Great scrappy piece...

Mary Grace McNamara said...

Another beautiful quilt with a great story!

MGM

Joanne Lendaro said...

Like the new look of your blog, love the quilt on the line and it's story, look forward to seeing it every Monday.

Followed up on the project that Jane is coordinating, and headed that direction to see what I can do to help!

Crispy said...

Love your new look....I thought about changing but I really love the look of my blog as is :0)

Crispy

Nanette Merrill said...

The quilt is a gem. Really. Fun to look at all the fabrics.

Love Of Quilts said...

It would nice to no the history behind old quilts....that is part of they're appeal tho. Trish

Melissa said...

A stunning quilt. You are blessed to have received it.

Beth said...

Lovely quilt, thanks for sharing it with us.
I need to do better with quilt labels too. I guess we never really think about some future time when someone might be wondering who made the quilt and where did the fdabrics come from?

Like your new look.

annemarie said...

Lovely quilt - I know you will enjoy your retreat at Villa Maria. I remember visiting Villa Maria as well as the Grotto in West Bend, Iowa. These visits were considered our summer trips but we loved it. Just the thought of visiting a state other than Minnesota was enough to make us happy!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

What a gorgeous quilt to share with us Sandi! It looks so pretty blowing in the breeze on the line.

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful quilt with everyone. Carolyn

julieQ said...

Such a beautiful quilt on your line! I love it!

Pat said...

The quilt is just beautiful. Love scrappy quilts.
Happy Quilting!

Quilting Lab said...

Love the quilt you showed us, and thought all the same things as you did upon seeing it! Oh, I really need to get on that labeling part, too!!

GeeGee said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely old string quilt. I have blocks like this ready to set together, now inspired to "get her done".

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018