Thursday, July 29

A visit to Debbie's Quilt shop!

Here it is.......Debbie's Quilt Shop. It's located in the community of Osage in northeast Iowa, almost to the Minnesota border, in fact. Before we visited the shop, Sue took us to the best bakery/co-op.....Kountry Kupboard. Oh, yum. I bought the best package of Butterhorn rolls. I love a real bakery! But you're here for the quilting.......so take a look at this......just a small shop, you think.............
until you walk in the door and you don't know which way to go because there is so much to see. The shop is filled with fabric and related items but there are also lots of gift items......and tea cups! This is what you see when you walk in the door........

Then you just start wandering this way.......



and that way............

(and my apologies because Blogger is cramming these little photos all together and the words get hidden by the photos..........I loaded them the way I did in my old format but that doesn't work so well in this new template......too late to re-load photos...I'll figure it out before my next picture-loaded post.)

and, oh, my............
lots of 30's fabrics!!! I had to restrain myself here because I have a ton of 30's fabrics.


(I will be taking all my 30's to a retreat this weekend....it's kind of a tradition. More on that after the retreat.)



Yes, I really had to restrain myself as there were loads of 30's prints. I'll bet there were some I don't have but I was not tempted.




About right here I told the clerk I was looking for a yellow fabric with black polka dots. I was sure that they wouldn't have it. So wrong. I passed it on my way into the shop!



I loved this dresser with it's display of colorful fabrics.....


and then I saw the rick rack.......giant rick rack!



I was only at the middle of the shop at this point.......
so I took a picture of Sue choosing fabrics.
Then I wandered some more and pretty soon I didn't see any of my friends but I heard their voices. That's because they were all up there............
So, I climbed the steps to see what was up there............and then turned and took a photo of where I had just come from.........
There's a hallway at the back right that I almost didn't go into until Pandora told me there were teeny teacups back there. Yep, I bought a couple but they are for something way off in the future. :-)
So what was "up there"? It was Christmas upstairs!
This was a cool tablerunner. Adella has made a couple of these and it's all in how you cut and piece to get that nice look.
Oh, my, this shop was really a Joy to behold. :-)
And I saved the best til last............it's a snowman made from batting!
How cool is that? Very cool, I think! Made me wish there was some real snow that I could grab and toss on my rosy cheeks. It was just a wee bit warm upstairs. It was back down the steps and time to check out. This was a great shop that was filled with way more goodness than what it looked like from the front of the store. I just love it when you walk into a store and find it is so much more than you were expecting. If you find yourself in the vicinity of Osage, Iowa you won't want to miss this shop. And, of course, you'll want to visit the Kountry Kupboard, too!
I am wondering how it got to be Thursday already. Where did this week go? Sewing to do today and cleaning, too. And in that order!
Sandi

10 comments:

Crispy said...

Oooo great shop!! I think I could do some damage in there LOL.

Some of these new templates are a real pain. I had to refresh your blog, then quickly get to where I could click the Post A Comment line before it got superimposed by your profile. As I was passing the pictures, they weren't all squished together either. FYI :o)

Crispy

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Looks like a wonderful shop!! I might have to take a road trip and soon. Thanks for all the fun pictures of your day. Carolyn

Needled Mom said...

What a fabulous shop! I will definitely have to check it out if I get that way.

I love that snowman!!!

elizabeth @ twelvecrafts said...

Iowa? Woo hoo! That store is definitely filled with goodness. And I can't believe it's Thursday either!

Pat said...

Looks like a fun trip and a nice quilt shop. Thank you for sharing.
Happy Quilting!

Lindah said...

What a neat, neat shop! Lucky you! Thanks for sharing all those gorgeous photos. By the way, your post was a little tightly fitted, but I didn't lose any words. It was all there.
Blessings!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Thanks for the shop review Sandi! And I always like to know about a bakery nearby!

Pat said...

Now...wait just a doggone minute....I don't think you told us what you BOUGHT there (besides the teacups you aren't showing us since they are for something in the future). Don't tell me you walked out of there with NO fabric.....or maybe you bought some of that great giant rick-rack???

Dora, the Quilter said...

Wow! Thank you for the shop tour! I tell myself it's okay to shop on the web because I live in such an isolated area, but I do miss the beautiful sight of more bolts of fabric than I can count. What a cute shop! Thanks for sharing!

Nanette Merrill said...

What a great show n tell for the store. Quilt stores are all like discovering a new friend. That batting snowman is funny.

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018