Wednesday, May 26

I really did go for a ride on a camel.........

Here's the proof............

These photos were taken in November, 1998 by my husband, Steve. We had just eaten lunch at a little cafe in a small village northwest of the city of Antalya, Turkey. Nearby there was a gentleman with a camel who was offering rides for a fee. My husband was insistent that I go for a ride on a camel. He felt that I shouldn't return to the states without having ridden on a camel. So I did. Sometimes I protest a lot, as he comes up with things that I am just not crazy about doing......like riding the "Bigshot" that's on the top of that hotel out in Las Vegas. I watched it. No one would ever convince me to get on that ride. The camel, however, was a different story. It was sitting and so with help from the camel's owner, I was seated upon it's back and then he commanded the camel to rise slowly.............

and then we rode off into the sunset............... :-)

It was actually a very nice ride and so I was able to return to the states and say....."yes, I visited Turkey and went for a ride on a camel". During that trip, we shopped in the local stores and markets, and visited many ruins and museums, and walked where so many famous people from history had worked and lived. I absolutely loved our trip there and wish that we could return one day. Sadly, that's not likely as my husband doesn't travel as much anymore, but good dreams never die.

As I was searching for the camel photos, I realized that were a lot of photos of interesting sites so I'm thinking that every so often, I'll share a picture or two about that trip. If I can't visit again in person, I'll just relive the trip that we already took!!

I was going to post a pic of my finished projects from this post but I never got to taking the pictures yesterday. That was because I was so busy looking at pictures from our Turkey trip and then I spent the afternoon printing the postcard invites for our family reunion in July. I added the mailing labels and took them to the post office and they are in the mail and on their way to family members!!! It's a "finish", although, not a "quilty finish". As I walked out of the post office, I decided to walk across the street and treat myself to some ice cream at Toody's Sweets and Treats. It was delish!!
I'll have pictures to share tomorrow ..... for sure!
Have a great day!
Sandi

11 comments:

Sarah Vanderburgh said...

Love it! Thanks for digging out your photos for us, Sandi. You gave me my morning smile. :-)

Owl Lady said...

You know that you have lead an interesting life when you can write about riding a camel in Turkey and eating ice cream at Toody's in the same post! I would love to hear more about both subjects.

julietk said...

A great picture Sandi :-) Camels are fun to ride I felt very high up on mine and as they rise you kind of feel like you are going to fall forward :-)

Love Of Quilts said...

What a adventure...glad he didn't take off running with you. Trish

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

So am I!

Lindah said...

Hurray for you, riding that camel! I have alway wanted to ride a camel, but there aren't many riding camels around in the US. I am looking forward to your occasional Turkey travel log pics. That will be nice interspersed with the quilty pics. Toody's! Now that sounds like an interesting place to enjoy ice cream. I collect interesting place names. Here in northern CA, we can have ice cream at Leatherby's. When I first moved here, I could imagine the local cowboys in their leather chaps and holsters bellying up to the bar for a cone or a sundae. :-)
Happy day!

Pat said...

Great photos. Was the owner leading the camel or was it just walking along with you at "the controls"?? I can't quite tell in the photo. What a great experience! Thanks for sharing it and I'll really enjoy seeing your Turkey photos periodically.

Beth said...

Great photos. I remember riding camels in Egypt. My Dad was in the Navy and we lived there for two years.
I'd love to see Turkey.

Needled Mom said...

Cute!!! We rode a camel on a visit to Morrocco. They are pretty big animals and I must say that it would not be my choice for a long distance trip across the desert. How about you?

Nihal said...

Oh my, it seems you had really good experience, riding camel in Antalya. The highlight of your trip to Antalya was a camel ride, no. I often go to Antalya but not went for a ride on a camel. Surely I will try to ride. Thanks so much for the inspiration with your so lovely photos. Super photos, and you look like great:)

elizabeth @ twelvecrafts said...

Okay, I love those pics! What an amazing adventure!

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018