Saturday, January 24

Can you say "90% off!!!!"

It was cold yesterday but I had to go grocery shopping so to make it worth the trip, I, of course, went in search of fabric and bargains. I had no trouble finding either!!! :-) The evidence is all here in the photos. Well, almost some items weren't that exciting for a picture but the price was right so........what did I find? Well, the good stuff at JoAnn's at 90% off actually started when I stopped there on Thursday night after crazy quilting. My big "find" was a 4 foot white pine Christmas tree with lights that only cost me $5.oo! My mom doesn't read my blog so I can tell you why I was so excited to find that tree. She loves blue and white and right after Christmas I found some pretty royal blue glass ornaments that I thought she would like. The mind started to click and I thought, aha, next year for the Christmas at the hotel weekend, I'll decorate a tree with blue and silver. So, you can imagine my excitement when I found the white glittery tree with white lights in place and I could already see it decorated!! I picked up ribbon at 90% off, too. Some there and then some on Friday at the other JoAnn's I regularly visit. That means I was only paying about .19 to .39 cents for ribbon rolls and all those red berry things were only .09 cents each!! They'll show up in a big wreath next year but the ribbon is actually stuff I want to use for Valentine projects.
So, the next stop was the Dollar Tree store where I found these cute little books (some Valentine ones and the neat little Tea and Friendship one), glitter pens for Valentines and then Easter cards and crafts and check out those heart shaped measuring spoons! Too cute to pass up!!
Those fabrics in the picture with the spoons are from River City Quilts in Mankato (MN). I was only looking for a snowman themed fat quarter when I went in......but my friend, Darlene, was working and she reminded me that it was "Fat Quarter Friday" which means if you "buy 5 you get a 6th one free". Well, of course, I bought 5 and that's why you see six. :-) Don't you just love that apron print one. It was the only one I found or I would have bought more.
I also stopped at another quilt shop in Mankato, Firefly Quilt Shop to see if they still had the fabrics I used in the journal I made earlier this week. I was so hoping I could get more of that green polka dot because I bought the fabrics to make a purse and still want to do that. I was so glad when I saw they still had it and the little flower print so picked up some of each. Both shops are great and full of fun fabrics so if you are in the Mankato area, go check them out.
I couldn't resist buying fabric at JoAnn's and found this fat quarter pack of Parisian themed fabrics. I have a definite plan for this one and the spring trims and such you see in the photo. You'll see what it all ends up as in late March.
I also found batting at 50% off and remembered to pick up printer paper, labels, tape and all sorts of office supplies. Remember, if I had to be out in the cold, I was going to make the trip worthwhile!
I did eventually get those groceries and when I was all done, I stopped to fill up the car with gas. That was when I realized just how cold it really was outside. Running back and forth, in and out of stores wasn't too bad but standing in the open, with the wind blowing at about 25-30 MPH and the temperature at about -12............well, let's just say, I do not recall getting so cold so fast in years. My fingers, while covered in gloves, nearly froze and when I first got back in the car, I could not move them!! All this in just the short time it took to put gas in the car! I had to "thaw out" and warm up for a few minutes after I got back in the car and then I was able to drive home. I was so glad to get home!! I never quite warmed up the rest of the evening and was glad to curl up under many blankets with the heating pad to warm me when I went to bed. Cold, cold, cold today, too. It was a good day to do laundry and put on a pot of chili. It's almost ready so time to close.
One more picture, though.......another item that I found at the Dollar Tree are these Scrapbooking plastic page holders. I like to use them to hold "blocks in progress" for quilt projects (you may recognize Nanette's Cottage block patterns). At just a dollar each, it's a great way to keep the blocks clean and organized. Time for supper! Hope you are all warm and cozy wherever you are........
Sandi

17 comments:

Heather said...

Holy cow! You got some great deals. Good for you! I love that you have all these projects in mind when you shop. I always buy things on impulse with absolutely no idea how I'll use them. That's why I'm better off staying away from the stores if possible. lol But at those prices, I wish I'd been shopping with you!

Can't wait to see all the things you'll be making with your finds. ;o)

Pat said...

You got some GREAT loot, lady. I have to get upset with OUR Dollar Tree, though, as their buyer doesn't keep them supplied with ANY of the neat stuff you got at YOUR Dollar Tree. Harummmmpfffff....what's up with THAT? Great idea for the white tree with blue ornaments for your weekend with Mom at the hotel next year. I can't wait to see what you do with all the crafty bargains you got on your super shopping spree!!!

Needled Mom said...

Wow....you really did find some great deals. Isn't it a satisfying feeling?

The weather, on the other hand, sounds downright dreadful.

Hope it warms up for you soon.

Kritta22 said...

Wow!! Look at you, you little shopper! Nice work!

Fee said...

My goodness. I wish I could find bargains here in Tasmania like that. You obviously have a great eye for a bargain. Well Done.... Fiona

Fiona said...

I love finding bargains and you did so well there - looking forward to seeing what you do with them.

loulee said...

Thats a great haul.

Latane Barton said...

You know how to shop!! I'm impressed.

xashee's corner said...

how FANTASTIC!!! You really hit the MotherLode of bargains!!! Thank you for sharing, made me smile! hehe
i soo enjoy reading your blog! Hope you have a SUPER Sunday! :D

knitwit said...

What great shopping trips you had Sandi. Living in Canada we do not have Joannes and our fabric chain does not compare.
I always enjoy my trips to Buffalo to visist Joannes and Target.
Look forward to seeing the projects that you create with your new supplies.
Ruth

Gayle said...

Wow! You had the perfect shopping day. Thank you for taking us along. :-)

SharonZ said...

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in loving those scrapbook envelopes for craft. I use one for each project, whether quilting or stitching. Put my pattern, fabrics, picture, everything in the envelope, then "file" the envelope in a tub in order of the date I need to have the project done. Then I just start working from the tub. I put the finished blocks in the envelope and everything stays together and neat until the project is finished. They are the perfect size! And see-thru! Great minds think alike, lol.

Samantha said...

What great bargains. I was out shopping the other day and noticed that a lot of stores still have a lot of Christmas stuff left, so there are still plenty of bargains to be found.

knitwit said...

Sandi---I really love your choice of music. I left your blog on while I did my other computer stuff just to listen to the music.
Ruth

Anonymous said...

That's quite a haul you made there gal! Aren't those JoAnn clearances great? I just posted my version of the snowman block on my blog. http://nanabarbsmusings.blogspot.com

Sweet P said...

Wow! You did get a lot of great goodies! Now you can stay busy until next Christmas.

Nanette Merrill said...

Such a great idea about the protecta sheets. Nice buy on the ribbon. You are the woman! Good for you.

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018