Monday, October 27

Deer in my back yard....

At dusk this evening, I happened to look out the windows to our backyard there they were - a group of deer five of them several feet apart, but walking across our yard. I stopped vacuuming and ran over to the window to get a good look. I watched as first one and then the second one ran down the little hill toward our neighbor's back yard. Two more followed more slowly and those four days stopped in our neighbor's woods to graze on grass (and probably bugs). The fifth deer was in our garden nibbling what bit's of carrots and such that he could find. Then he walked across our yard as the other deer had but I noticed he had a limp. Then I saw the wound on the side of his upper haunch and it wasn't just that he limped, as he actually "favored" the leg even when he stopped to graze by holding it just slightly off the ground. Perhaps, he was shot once by a hunter but got away and survived in the woods. As he trotted out of our yard and over to the rest of the deer, I saw the most amazing thing. One of the deer in the group of four walked up to the wounded deer, they touched noses and then he joined the group. Now I don't know what that was all about because I am not a student of nature, but it seemed to me that the four knew that he was in need of being cared for and they waited to make sure that he joined them, then gave him (or her, as how can I tell in the dark?) a kiss to say "glad you are here". Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :-)
My car is finally unpacked, two loads of laundry are out of the way, I vacuumed and I baked a batch of cookies as the kitchen seemed to cold so I had to do something to warm it up. Why turn up the furnace when baking cookies will give you heat and something good to eat, too?
Speaking of something good, over at LeeLouBlogs, you'll find a "Launch Party" and some amazing giveaways. I took a peek and will check it out more carefully later on tonight. That's when I'm going to load the pictures from the retreat so that I can let you all see what fun we had and what a lovely place that Villa Maria is for a retreat. So, I'll be back later. In the meantime, check out LeeLousBlog. :-)
Sandi

4 comments:

Sandra :) said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww I love the "welcome" kiss business - I bet that's exactly what they were doing -- isn't that sweet? !!!

So - what kind of cookies did you make, and are you going to share?!

Nanette Merrill said...

I am going over to that other blog asap. How cute your story of the deer was. Aw. I know animals have instictive nature to take care of each other. I love that story. I may use it!

The Teacup Cottage said...

What a wonderful surprise! That's one of the things I like about the installation we are at now, the housing areas are surrounded by woods, so we see deer and rabbits all the time.

Samantha said...

Amazing how in the animal world, one knows when another needs a little extra TLC.... How lucky for me, in our human world there are good friends who also offer TLC and comfort when needed :)
Glad you retreat was so wonderful, can't wait to hear about it.

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018