Monday, November 28

What's on the line?

This is a quilt that has been with me for years. It's a nice warm, tied quilt that has a mix of fabrics that are wool or wool blends. When my mom made it more than forty years ago, it looked quite nice. All the squares were flat and the same size. But then..............


as you can probably tell, I washed it.  The time came when it just plain had to be washed.  I remember that I washed it in cold water but even that was not enough to keep the 100% wool blocks from shrinking and the wool blend ones stayed the same size.  The quilt has always been a "car quilt" because it was perfect to have if the heater in the car wasn't working or in case we got stranded in a snowstorm (never happened).  I decided this past summer that it was time to let the car quilt come inside. I washed it again (it did all it's shrinking in that first wash long ago) and hung it to dry (this pic was taken about a month ago on a warm October day).

This quilt may be a bit mis-shaped but I still like it. I can fold it and set it on a shelf and it looks nice. It's sort of a "memory quilt". The fabrics are from old clothes that my mother cut up for the quilt squares. Three of the fabrics are from skirts I wore in high school. My favorite is that fuschia and yellow plaid. It was a cute mini skirt that had a "hip-hugger" belt that matched it. I wore it a lot. :-) It would have been made in the late 60's/early 70's, just about the time I got married. And speaking of that, it was our anniversary last Thursday on Thanksgiving Day, November 24. We were married in 1968 and I can remember that we left Fort Dodge, Iowa on a Sunday evening after our wedding and headed west. We were on our way to San Diego where Steve had his first job. We reached Flagstaff, Arizona on Thursday of that week and it was Thanksgiving. For that first Thanksgiving together, we both ordered cheeseburgers and fries. LOL! Every year since then, it's been turkey. For many years, I cooked the turkey but Steve took over the duty about ten years ago. I like to make the pies..........
These are the pies I made this year..........pumpkin and cherry and apple!  We had a houseful of family for Thanksgiving this year and we enjoyed the pie and the turkey and all the trimmings. I'll share some family pics in my next post.
Hope you had a good weekend! Have a great Monday!
Sandi

11 comments:

Sunnybec said...

It's funny how we all "must have" the new fabrics that are coming out, and yet it is usually the most worn, mis-shaped quilts which are made out of used fabrics, that we seem to use and love the most... perhaps there is a moral in there somewhere! I don't have any quilts from anyone, but my first quilt is the one we throw in the car, it gets used to wrap chairs in the boot (so they dont rattle) the dog likes to snuggle in it too! The piecing is not so good and the quilting is quite awful, but I love that quilt and it gets used most days..... Linda

Denise said...

I love hearing people's "stories", thanks for sharing........the quilt looks nice and warm.

Diane said...

I like making pies, also. I wish I had saved some of my high school clothes for quilting; but, alas, I wasn't thinking of quilting after high school. Oh well, Happy anniversary.

Needled Mom said...

It is obviously a well loved quilt!

Happy anniversary! Burgers and fries???? Glad that it is turkey now!

Jen said...

Happy Anniversary! I love the quilt story too, such a sweet post!

Miss Hillbilly said...

Sometimes I think those wrinkly quilts are my favorites.

Caroline said...

What a beautifull story, I really love old quilts. But I'm the first quilter in the family. It must be great to have history of family quilts. with kind regards, Caro from the Netherlands

Samantha said...

Your quilt looks comfy and cozy- just as a well loved quilt should.
It's been a long long time since I've had cherry pie! I want a big slice, with vanilla ice cream, of course!

Snoodles said...

Happy Anniversary! (a little late)
Love hearing the story of the quilt...there are some that are just too precious to give up on, even if they get out of shape or tattered!

Denise :) said...

Oh, not just a precious quilt, but precious memories, too!! Your pies looked yummy, too. Have a great week! :)

Lady Jane said...

I love the memory quilt, those are the best kind. I am hungry I sure could go for a piece of one of those pies.... Cheers, LJ

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018