Monday, May 16

What's on the line?

Today's quilt on the line is a family heirloom. It's this pretty triangle quilt that was made by my Grandma Goldie. It was most likely made in the 1950's. I've shared this quilt before but never "on the line". Yesterday was an almost perfect day for taking photos.........temps in the 60's, sunny and a slight breeze. Just perfect for hanging quilts on the line...........

All the triangles on this quilt are hand-sewn. They started as cotton squares that have a flannel square inside each cotton square, then folded in half and sewn into strips of triangles. Then the strips are sewn together and it was hand-quilted. Here's a close-up of the quilt...........

The construction of the quilt my Grandma Goldie made is almost identical to this quilt below, one that my dad bought at auction and then my mom and dad gave it to me for a Christmas gift. This quilt is the only quilt that I've ever had appraised. It was appraised by Jean Carlton, a certified quilt appraiser. Classified as a "youth quilt", it has more value than a larger quilt because youth and children's quilts generally do not survive in such good condition. It was most likely made in the late 1940's to 1950's. I love both of these quilts because they are pretty but even more because the stitches on the one above were made by my Grandma, my dad's mother, and the one below, caught my dad's eye at an auction which makes me wonder........did he remember the one above? That quilt was tucked away and didn't "surface" until my grandparents auction in the late 1990's. It was a couple years later, that my dad bought the one below.........
To read more about these quilts you can go to these past blog entries.......this first blog entry was posted shortly after I began blogging and just a little over a month after my dad passed away.........go here for that post. And the second entry, shows my friend Carol with triangles and strips that show how this quilt is made. She received a box of pieces for this quilt from a neighbor who called it a "Depression Quilt". I always called the quilt from my dad the "Puzzle Quilt" because for the longest time, we just weren't quite sure how it was constructed. You see, it's the same on both sides of the quilt, totally reversible!  Once you check out the post with Carol's examples you'll see that making one of these would be a great "carry-along" project! Three other friends......Sue, Carol, and Pandora have all made variations of this quilt. Go here to see Carol's examples and you'll see how you can start your own triangle quilt. And as I write this, I'm thinking.........this could be a great project to use with my GO! Baby. I would need to order a 4" die and a 3-1/2" die, and then I could fill a bag with squares for a "carry-along" project. What an idea! :-)
Tomorrow I'll be sharing more on that batik tablerunner. With the Blogger "glitch" last week, I am a little "off-schedule" on my planned posts but it won't take long to catch up. I am just happy it's all fixed and very appreciative of the ability to blog and share my creative fun. Thanks, Blogger!!
Have a good Monday everyone!
Sandi

10 comments:

baukje said...

LOvely story, so amazing that your dad bought you a quilt on an auction!!! As you said he sure must have remembered the old one.....

Deb said...

Thanks for sharing this story! I also like that you had directions on this unusual quilt. I think I would like to try a small project--like the table runner. It looks like a fun handwork project.

Deb from Clutteredquilter.blogspot.com

Pat said...

What an interesting way of construction on that quilt. I love your treasures!

Unknown said...

love this quilt....

Denise said...

I love the quilts, I especially love the history that goes along with them. Thank you for sharing again since I hadn't read the original post, I will be going back and reading them. I also wanted to let you know that I finally used my Lapel Stick last week......for prepping applique pieces.

Anonymous said...

Very nice Sandi, thanks for sharing your story and quilt.

grandmarockton said...

help, this is a quilt as you go type quilt then? Just trying to understand the directions from Carol. Print then a solid square with flannel in each then fold, right? Beautiful

Beth said...

What a beautiful quilt. It sure would be a great take along project.
Thanks for sharing with us.
It is nice to see your yard out from under the snow.

annemarie said...

Love your story and the triangle quilts are beautiful.

Nanette Merrill said...

Wow. Stunning. I love that quilts are tied to your father. So so sweet.

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018