Sunday, June 15

Happy Father's Day!

This is the first Father's Day without my dad. Last summer I made a point of going home on Father's Day weekend. I am so glad I did. It was the weekend of Lehigh River Days and I took both my mom and dad to see the parade. This photo of my Dad, Melvin, with the "Puzzle Quilt" was taken last summer. My dad purchased it at an auction and we called it the puzzle quilt because we couldn't figure out how it was made. It is triangles and the reverse of the quilt is the same as the front. I've since learned that one name for it is "Depression Quilt" and it is made by folding triangles and stitching them together in a chain, then sewing the chains together. My folks gave me this quilt for Christmas several years ago but I brought it home to have my dad's picture taken with it because he was the one who bought it.
When I first started my blog, I posted a large picture of him with the quilt because I couldn't figure out how to post smaller pictures. I feel like I have been going back to school these last few weeks and months as I have learned how to participate in on-line groups, load photos and files, start my own on-line group and a blog, too. I am learning the "old-fashioned way", by "trial and error"!!!
Earlier today, I sewed together a simple block flannel baby quilt. I was thinking of my dad as I sewed it, because I was my mom and dad's first child. My mother sewed baby clothes for me on an old treadle sewing machine that belonged to my Aunt Bell. I have it now, and while it works, it is more decorative and sentimental than it is functional. Anyway, sewing the baby quilt was theraputic. I love the soft feel of flannel and the pretty pastel colors. I'll finish the quilt in a few days and it will be a doorprize at the quilt show during my hometown's Sesquicentennial this coming weekend. And now I have to set down and make my list of "to do's" for the weekend so I will have to get off the computer for a bit and see to that. Night all!

1 comment:

Nanette Merrill said...

Sandi I love that quilt. What a sweet Father's Day story.

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018