Monday, May 30

What's on the line this Memorial Day?

I saved this quilt to share today. It's one of my favorites. It's one of five quilts I designed in 2001 and taught it to a group of friends and in Community Education classe. I did the machine piecing and my friend, Sara Peterson, did the beautiful machine quilting...............

The quilt measures about 36" square and can be used as a wall-hanging or a table-topper. You could do it in any color but I especially like it in patriotic red, white and blue!!!  One day this quilt and the other four in the series will get into pattern format. In the meantime, I just enjoy them "on the line", or on the wall or on my dining room table. :-)

This is Memorial Day here in the U.S. It's a day to remember those who have served our nation's military. They've given their time and often their lives in service to others. I appreciate it  immensely!  My dad has been in my thoughts all weekend. He served in the U.S. Army during WWII. My husband served in the Air Force and many of my high school friends served in the Army or Navy during the Vietnam War. War is not what anyone wants. Sometimes it just becomes necessary. My dad often shared stories of WWII. I never minded hearing them. While it's been three years since he passed away, I still miss him greatly.
It was following his death that I began blogging. I took to the "blogosphere" on Memorial Day, 2008. If you go here, you can see that first post.  For a long time I had wanted to share my creative endeavors with others. Blogging helped me to get beyond the pain of losing him. It gave me something to look forward to, a purpose to my days. Sharing with others helped me get beyond myself..........
At first, I didn't know what I was doing. I would ask my son, Devlin, for advice. He had encouraged me that I could blog. He said I didn't really need his help that there was a tutorial for practically every aspect of blogging and I could do this. He was right. And so, on Memorial Day, three years ago I took the leap and began blogging. And I love it !!! I am so glad Devlin was right and that I could do it!  We need to celebrate this occasion so later on this week there will be some fun stuff that I'll be sharing. 
Right now, though, in memory of my dad, I want to share a special page. It's a memorial tribute that Devlin wrote to fellow members of the Black Mustang Car Club, an on-line group for fellow Mustang enthusiasts. Click here if you'd like to read Devlin's tribute to his Grandpa. My dad was just one of thousands of men who served. I am thankful for every man and woman who sacrifices for the well-being of others. May those that are serving today return safely to their loved ones. My prayer is for peace. A simple prayer for peace.............

10 comments:

JudyCinNC said...

I would love to see a close up of this quilt. With such a large design, there seems lots of opportunity for the machine quilting. Beautiful Judy C

Angie said...

It's beautiful! I would love one JUST LIKE THAT. :)

annemarie said...

Happy Memorial Day - I really enjoyed this post.

Mary Grace McNamara said...

Beautiful, both picture and words! Happy Memorial Day Sandi!

MGM

Needled Mom said...

It is a beautiful and fitting quilt for today.

Like you my dad served in WWII and we were Navy during the Vietnam years. Bless all of our current and past servicemen and women for the freedom they have provided for us.

I enjoyed reading Devlin's tribute to his grandfather. It sounds as though they had a special relationship.

Jayne Honnold said...

Sandi, I am so touched after reading your son's tribute to his grandad. How heartfelt it is! I know you must be so proud to have a son who is so appreciative of the relationship he and your dad had. Have a blessed Memorial Day!

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful tribute your son wrote. How difficult a time that must have been for you. I'm so glad you started blogging! What a great quilt that is.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Your patriotic quilt is such a great design Sandi!

Pat said...

Wonderful post, Sandi. We, too, were Air Force during the Vietnam era...and my dad was in the Navy in WWII. We need to remember the sacrifices made by so many for so long now.....

DebbieM said...

Your quilt is lovely and Devlin's Tribute to his grandfather was very moving. I had two brothers in Vietnam, one on the ground and one on an aircraft carrier, both made it home safely, but both have paid a price for their service. Agent Orange has left them both with diabetes. My Mom's brothers, were both Navy during WWII, one on a destroyer and one on a hospital ship and my cousin's husband, was a WWII fighter pilot. I pay tribute to all those who served and especially those that have given the ultimate sacrifice. God Bless America and God Bless our Soldiers!!

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018