Friday, April 22

Assisting the Easter Bunny.......

Once again, members of our church, St. Paul's United Church of Christ, were more than generous in donating items for Easter Baskets for our local county food shelf. This is the third year that we have done this project. Please note that we are only assisting the Easter Bunny. Not one of us makes a claim to actually be the Easter Bunny. :-)
It was about a month ago that I made the first announcement about "assisting the Easter Bunny" again this year.  Each week after that someone would hand me a check or cash and members would bring in bags of Easter grass, plastic eggs, baskets, chocolates, etc. I had fun shopping for even more goodies with the cash and then we assembled it all on Sunday, April 10th.  I had some help from some of the youth members and their mom's and here's what it looked like as we filled the baskets..................

That's Trent, on the left, and Kayla, on the right, as we set the baskets around the table.


And here's Maddy filing the baskets with Easter grass. You should have seen the floor when we were finished. LOL! And that Easter grass clings to everything!  In the photo below, Kayla, is adding lots of candies to each basket. There were all sorts of goodies from chocolate bunnies and boxes of colors, chalk, bubbles, card games, and little stuffed Easter toys that we added to the baskets.
And see all those plastic eggs in the photo above? We filled the eggs with foil wrapped bunnies and eggs and then went around the table again adding a few to each basket.

And when all the baskets were filled, we put each one in a plastic bag and added a bow (and we snipped off the top of the bag to make it look prettier).


In just a little over an hour, with the help of these newly certified Easter Bunny Assistants, we filled 52 Easter Baskets!  The helpers are .....from left to right........Tammy and daughter, Kayla, Trent, and Maddy and her mom, Monica.


There was just one more job to do........carry them all out to my car..........

We filled that trunk space and had to put a dozen in the back seat. I delivered them all to Sibley County Food Share on Monday, April 11th and the staff was excited to get something that can mean so much to a child on Easter Sunday morning. When a parent can hardly put food on the table, there is not much left for an Easter basket. Granted, the Easter Bunny is not the real reason for Easter. But loving our brothers and sisters and sharing our abundance is surely a good thing. So while this post may have nothing to do with quilting, it has everything to do with making someone smile and you know I love to make people smile. I highly recommend that you try this in your church or any community group. It was so easy to do and then you, too, could become a Certified Easter Bunny Assistant!!

Today is Good Friday and I remember that when I was a kid, local businesses closed on Friday afternoons in observance of church services. That seems such a long time ago. I think I am getting old when I think how long ago that was. LOL!  Wishing those of you that observe Easter a blessed day on Sunday.   We don't have any plans to travel but our grandson is coming to spend the weekend. I like that. :-)  Later this evening, I'll add another post of photos (I have permission to post them) of some of the quilts at the Deep Valley Quilters Show in Mankato last weekend. They were lovely, so stop by on Saturday when you need a break and take a peek at the quilts. And next week.........fun, fun, fun with my GO! Baby and a little giveaway of some extra DayTreat goodies!  And wait til you see the cute pincushion I made from the little candy dish that I placed on everyone's mug rug that day. So easy, so I will share how you can make one, too. :-)
Have a great day!
Sandi

5 comments:

Me and My Stitches said...

What a great idea. Doesn't it just feel good to help others?

Pat said...

I always enjoy the photos of your Easter project. Another great year.......you are so kind, Sandi! (And what wonderful folks to help you with that.)

Beth said...

The project looks like it was very successful and fun too. Who wouldn't love to get one of those pretty Easter baskets?
Great job and Happy Easter.

Needled Mom said...

What a wonderful project to be a part of!! The baskets looked beautiful too and you know they will be appreciated.

Happy Easter to you, Sandi.

Gracey is not my name.... said...

What a wonderful thing to do! Bless your church and the members...

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018