Wednesday, March 25

The Lions Club Breakfast and more Hobby Lobby....

So, when I left off last night I said I had more to tell about our shopping adventure at Hobby Lobby. You see, there was this sale going on and all sorts of stuff was 50% off. My mom wanted some shelves for her living room and found just what she wanted and they were 50% off. I found a little wicker footstool with a faux leather top that lifts off that I had been wanting and it was 50% off. Then we found some decorator goodies at 80% off!! The nice thing was that the items we had on our list were on sale. Usually when I have a list, the items I need were on sale the week before I hit the store. I really like Hobby Lobby and could spend a small fortune in that place. We ate dinner at the local Hy-Vee deli and I had one of Iowa's best tenderloins. :-) Then it was grocery shopping and home to put it all away.

Saturday morning we got up and went to the Lions Club Breakfast. It was a fundraiser for Dollars for Scholars.
That's Donnie, one of my mom's neighbors smiling as he takes our order. It was eggs, sausage and pancakes and it was deeeelicious.

After breakfast I walked across the street and out onto the bridge to take a picture of the river. It's the Des Moines River and it runs right through my old home town of Lehigh. The photo above is looking to the south.......

And this photo above is of the dam, to the north. The old pier is all that's left of the old bridge that was replaced in the late 50's. When I was a kid we walked to school everyday and that walk across the bridge - whether it was the old one or the new one - was always a cold walk and you liked to hurry from one side to the other.
In the afternoon, I hung the shelves for my mom in her apartment and then it was such a lovely day that we went outside and did some work in her little rock garden.........
I rolled all these rocks away and cleared leaves, then put my mom's favorite yard ornaments back in place. My sister helped with this a couple of weeks ago and now the only thing missing is perhaps a bit of flowers.

Since we had worked up an appetite, this is what we ate for dessert at dinner. My mom picked it up at Wal-mart. It was two slices of "Chocolate Champagne Cake", one for each of us. I don't think there was any champagne in it which was fine with me because chocolate is my champagne!! :-)

There's still a little more to tell about my Iowa visit but that will come tomorrow.
As far as today went ............ well, it rained. It started as mist in the morning. I had a meeting to go to and by the time I returned late afternoon, I was driving through heavy rain. I had been home about a half hour when the rain finally stopped and the sun peeked out. I looked out the kitchen window and here's what I saw...........

GREEN Trees!! They are covered in moss. Now that may be common in southern states, but I don't ever remember seeing the trees green with moss here in Minnesota. You can see the grass is turning green, too. Guess what, though?........ Snow is in the forecast for later on this week and very cold over the weekend. I don't mind. I have block of the month work to do so I can get the April blocks posted on time. I received more Emma blocks today. If you signed up to send a block for the Emma's Hope project, I need the blocks by April 10.
Time to turn out the lights.
Sandi

8 comments:

Kritta22 said...

sooo jealous you have a Hobby Lobby!!

Lindsey said...

You're so lucky to have a Hobby Lobby and mor importantly to have your mother still with you...I do the same breakfast type thing but with a different organization. Btw, you may want to delete that first comment...and what are you doing up so late!

Pat said...

Yes...delete that first comment. Hoping you don't have to put moderator approval in place, but.....if that one comes back, you might. *sigh* GREAT buys you got and loving that dessert you had with your mom!!!

Madi said...

wow! delete that first comment.. that is some kind of random SPAM. but I enjoyed looking at the cake.. and since I am REALLY REALLY trying hard to lose 15 pounds.. I had to only look.. I love HObby loby to.. I try to stay away!

Kaye said...

Oh my, I forgot what I was going to say. Got distracted with the post to the left of the comment box! Sounds like you and Mom had a great weekend.

Crispy said...

Hobby Lobby is the best!! I was so happy when they put one in a couple of years ago.

I hope you don't get that storm we had Monday night and Tuesday. Ice storm first then around 8 inches of snow with high winds...not fun, but I did get the sewing done that I was suppose to do on Sunday LOL.

Crispy

Pat said...

GOOD......that crazy comment is gone now! (Of course, anyone reading this now will wonder what the heck the rest of us were talking about...since Krita's is now the first comment and is perfectly fine. LOL)

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

FYI- I deleted the spam comment posted first on this page. Kritta's comment was 2nd and now appears as first so do not think it is one I should delete. Sorry for the spam postings. Whoever they are, I hope they do not come back.

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018