Wednesday, April 3

Creative expressions............

My blog is generally about quilting and often about family. It's also about inspiring creativity and expressing it. And so today, I'm going to tell you about the artwork that my son, Devlin, has been doing. The piece below was his Christmas gift to me. The artwork is created with a phone app called Sketchfree 1.0 and it's done when you draw with your fingers on a touchscreen. He has done a number of really cool sketches with the app. And I mean really cool!! I got to choose the one I wanted and I chose this one.  It's called "Crystal Forest" and the photo does not do the work justice.
 
 
He's done a few for friends and as much as I like the artwork, part of what makes the pieces so unique is the way he frames them.  The piece in the photo below is titled "The Spider Inspired."  It was created for Felicia Mitchell. The design looks like a spider wove web upon web. The print is accented with black velveteen and the corners are mother-of-pearl. Very cool!
 
This print was created for his friend Paul's birthday. It looks like a spinning wheel that is smokin'. Again, the detail in the framing, really makes the print stand-out!
 
This is a close-up of the print.

I've always believed that art and creative expression is really, really important. When you start using paints, or begin to sketch, or gather a bunch of fabrics, or assemble a bunch of items for collage, or whatever your heart desires..............well, you can get "lost" in the process and pretty soon you have created a piece of art.
Sometimes, something as simple as sticks can become art.  Devlin created this piece with just some sticks/twigs removed the bark, smoothed them, and left the wood unfinished. They represent the number 5 which is the date of my son's birthday. My camera does not do this piece justice either. The fabric background is deep burgundy velvet, not nearly as rosy red as the photo shows.

There are more projects he's been doing lately and I'll share more about them in future posts.  I can see his Sketchfree designs printed on fabric and wouldn't it be cool to take one of the designs and enhance it with some quilting in metallic threads?  Then maybe one could add some beading or bronzing paints...........or who knows? Anything that would allow ............. creative expression is all good!!

Now tell me, what is your favorite thing to do for .............. creative expression?




10 comments:

Kate said...

Devlin's creations are fabulous! He has a great future. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

You have a very talented son. Beautiful work!!!!!

Needled Mom said...

I know where he got the creative genes! Those are really amazing.

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

very special pieces in deed! thanks for sharing! hugs to you...

Carol Wade said...

True talent runs in families! Your family is very artistic!
Thank you so much for sharing all of these beautiful treasures!

grandmatomato said...

Wow! I sure like the pictures he has made. The frames are amazing.

Linda P said...

Your son has a keen eye for detail and does some incredible work. I hope he keeps at it...... there just might also be a joint venture between you two. Enjoyed seeing these, Sandi.

Beth said...

I think I can guess where his creative gene came from. I love those pictures, they are so intricate. He coulds design fabric. Now how did I think of that? ;)

Nanette Merrill said...

Wow. So creative. Like mother like son. I do really like your Christmas gift.

Anonymous said...

I think that creativity is passed along in some gene, but I think that nurture is a greater influence than nature. Perhaps nature gives someone artistic skill so that the picture looks like a person instead of a cow, and nurture gives that person the confidence and creativity to express ideas.
Devlin and Collette got their creativity from you, your mother, and others. You gave them the time and space to try their own ideas. You and Judy learned from your mother Mary, a grandmother that you have mentioned, as well as aunts.
What a treasure of experience is showing in Jacob's work already.

The owl lady

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018