Thursday, June 14

Flag Day!


Today is Flag Day. This would have been my dad's 86th birthday. The photo above was taken on Memorial Day when my mom and I visited my dad's grave to put new flowers in the vases on his headstone. He rests toward the back where the two flags are located. I always enjoy going home at Memorial Day time. I still think of it as Decoration Day. And this year was a bit special. My dad would have been so pleased with what came about.........
There is always a service in the cemetary and at the bridge in Lehigh. But then, a few months ago, the local VFW post was dissolved when the post commander passed away. No one came forward to take the position and so the post had to be dissolved. That made a lot of local folk very sad. Without the Post it seemed there would be no Remembrance service. That just didn't seem right. So, my brother Doug and I tossed about some ideas.........and a few phone calls and then info in the local newspaper..........and a remembrance service came to be! There's more on this service but first..........
After the service was over, I joined my brother at the Lehigh Historical Society..........

I brought along some quilts and wallhangings to share......and also the bears that some of you may remember from a post about my front porch.......
 There's a vintage loom on display and it was the perfect place to hang a quilt..........
Here's my brother, Doug, as he frames photos of local veterans from the Lehigh area who served in the Armed Forces during World War II.
And while I was there visiting, I got to thinking that perhaps I could do a blog for the Lehigh Historical Society.......a place where events could be posted and there would be photos of interest to those who live in and grew up in Lehigh. So I asked the board president, Roger, and he said "Go for it!"  And so I did and if you go to Lehigh*Historical*Society, you will see some more photos of the lovely little town where I was raised!
Have a good day everyone!
Sandi

4 comments:

Pat said...

You are a true treasure, Sandi....and it seems your brother is, too. How wonderful that the two of you didn't let the remembrance service die along with that post commander. Bless you both for what you did there (and for you continuing your "service" with the blog for them).

Needled Mom said...

Yeah, Sandi. I am so glad that you continue to keep the memories alive.

Lindah said...

I like what you and your brother did for Flag Day and in the Historical Society. The HS blog would sure be an interesting one to read. We are rich in our heritage. To lose it, to not pass it on, would be too bad. FLag Day is one of my favorites because my mother also was born on that day 96years ago. We always "flew the flag for her." Sadly, someone stole our flag --can you believe it?-- a few years ago, so now we have a little flag on the back porch. So, we can have birthday cake on Flag Day for Mom and birthday cake on the 4th for the USA... not bad, huh? :-)

ultimausa said...

Quilts can be designed as wall-hanging decorations, as table runners, filled and ... that best fits ultimausa

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018