Monday, August 10

Back in time...........

After taking pictures of aprons yesterday afternoon, I folded them up and put them neatly back in the drawer. As I did so, I noticed a large manila envelope and I knew right away what it was. It contained a poster that my mother had given me a few years ago and I opened it up and thought.........gotta take pictures and post this. It's an advertising poster for Cinderella (Copyright Disney films 1950) and for fabrics at J.C. Penney's!! It unfolds to about 24" by 36". Double click on the photos to read the text.




I was born in 1949 so the prices shown above are what my mother was paying for fabric for our matching dresses. I loved reading every bit of this! Hope you do, too. I'm thinking I need to make a magical Cinderella apron. Perhaps if I wear it in the kitchen, cooking and dirty dishes will be magically taken care of by my Fairy Godmother. There was a time when I wished for those glass slippers. I thought they would be divine. Wishes change with age! :-)
Here's wishing you a very good Monday and a super good week!
Sandi

16 comments:

Pat said...

This poster is priceless...I'm glad you kept it.....FOUND it....AND shared it with us. I'm wondering how long JC Penney's carried fabrics and sewing supplies? I don't ever recall them in stores.....and being born in 1948, maybe they stopped carrying those items by the time I would have been old enough to have memories of those items in their stores. (Or maybe they only carried them in some stores but not in all and that's why I have no recollection of them.) I do think you should make a Cinderella apron AND if wearing it causes your fairy godmother to appear, you should make them for all you good blogging friends!!! LOL

Crispy said...

I love old stuff like that. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Crispy

Carla said...

How wonderful! I love it and can't wait to see your apron. Born in 1948 here also.

pdudgeon said...

i remember shopping at Penny's for fabric with my mom. they had it in the basement of our store, and it was such fun to go and look at all the fabric and the patterns. thanks for the memories!

Needled Mom said...

What a great poster. Isn't it amazing to read the old prices?

If that magic apron works, please let me know. I may have to give it a try. ;)

Kaye said...

Love that poster and had fun reading it. WordsI haven't seen or heard for a long time--sanforized, organza, gabardine etc. Its an absolute hoot to read the prices, I don'r think I saw any material for over 1.00 a yard. Thanks so much for sharing it

xashee's corner said...

AWESOME find!! i LOVE it and thank you so much for sharing! :) Have a WONDERFUL day!

The Rabbit Factory said...

Love the little bluebirds tying up the apron! What a nice piece of memorbillia!

Karen said...

I used to buy fabric at Penney's. They always had such nice quality pieces.

quiltingnana said...

what a nice momento

Micki said...

The poster is wonderful! I love aprons, and have several that are my favorites!
Micki

knitwit said...

I need one of those" Magic Cinderella aprons", and some fabric at those advertised prices.
Thanks once again for sharing your treasures.
Ruth

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

What a wonderful memento Sandi! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Jocelyn said...

What a wonderful memory :-) I love vintage things like that. What a simpler time. Glad that you took pictures to share.

Lori Holt said...

I loved every minute of reading that...thanks for sharing. All of the pictures are so cute and vintagey!
x lori

Nanette Merrill said...

Oh my gosh isn't that precious. What we wouldn't give to go back in time and buy all the fabrics. That is really a treasure Sandi.

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018