Wednesday, July 15

Time out for Tea!

It's about 9:30 p.m. CST and I am sitting down with a cup of hot tea and I'm ready to blog. I saw the doctor this morning and am happy to report that I am doing very well and the doctor was surprised to see that. Don't get me wrong, as there is still numbness in my heel and up the back of my leg and pain there, too, but nothing like what it was just a few days ago. I got more definitive info from him and while I have what is termed "degenerative back problems", it does not warrant surgery. I have a pinched nerve at L5/S1 that is the cause of my pain. He has referred me to another clinic for a cortisone shot and it should give me some relief and considerable improvement. I will keep you all posted but I am just so glad to be able to sit instead of laying down or standing. I can finally get to my sewing machine and the computer for more than 5 minutes at a time!!!
Now, here's something to think about for all of you.........we should all get up and stretch if we have been sitting at our desk typing or drawing or sewing, whatever, at least every half-hour or so. It's really not good for our bodies and it's really bad for our backs to sit for long periods of time. I am guilty of sitting too long as when I get going on a sewing project or get to blogging or drawing a pattern, I stay at it till the project is done. And then when I go to stand up, sometimes I can hardly stand up because I am too stiff. I've read plenty about back issues during the past week or so, and so I am a "reformed back abuser" but I will try not to be annoying about my new cause. ;-)
Anyway, that's the scoop for now. My cup of hot tea is finished but earlier today, I enjoyed a glass of iced tea and cookies that you can read about if you go here .

This past Saturday, my mother surprised me with a package full of fabric and a couple of patterns and that cute card to cheer me up. It worked! I have plans for the four fat quarters on the left. :-)

And yesterday, I finished this pincushion that I started at my fall retreat last October. Tomorrow, I will post a little tutorial for it, in case you would like to make one, too. That's all for tonight!
Thanks for all your supportive and informative e-mails and comments during this leg and back pain thing. They have really helped me!!
Sandi

14 comments:

Owl Lady said...

Hip, hip, hooray!
Hip, hip, hooray!
Hip, hip, hooray!

What wonderful news - no surgery! I am so happy for you that you have improved and that you have a plan to take better care of your back.

I am sure that you will have a greater appreciation for your mobility now that it has been reduced for several weeks. The standing up from the sewing machine and the computers every half hour or so should also apply to riding in the car or on a plane, anywhere that you tend to hold your legs and feet in the same position.

Lindsey said...

Gosh, hope things stay pain free. Back pain is so debilitating.

I could tell my body was heading in that direction and so I decided to start quilting STANDING UP at a kitchen counter height counter. Can you imagine?

I never have back pain now...I've been doing it for the last 2 years and now I only stop sewing because I have to get back to life instead of stopping b/c of pain.
Good luck with yours!

Pat said...

I'm up early and the little one is still asleep, so I took the chance to check a few blogs...I'm glad I did, because I'm happy that the doctor feels you can get relief right now without surgery. GOOD advice, too, about changing position every 30 minutes or so. (Kind of hard on a long car trip, but....if needed, then it has to be done.)NICE package from your mom and the pincushion looks cute. Is that a needle book attached to it?

annemarie said...

Great news - hope you continue on this road to recovery. Please do not over exert yourself. We are all thinking about you.

Kaye said...

What great news, Ewe are back and I am sure happy to get some answers. The good part is that you don't need surgery at this time. Thanks for the advice on getting up at least every 1/2 hr. I have arthiritis in my lower back and shouldn't abuse it. I think you have helped all of us. Thank you

Crispy said...

Hooray!!!! No Surgery...good vibes work so well sometimes :0)

Crispy

Needled Mom said...

Keep being annoying as it may help someone else down the road. Having broken my back twice, I can tell you that backs are not to be taken lightly.

I used to keep my iron right at the sewing machine. Now I keep it across the room which forces me to get up and move about. Like you, once I start a project I can stay in one spot until it is finshed.

I am so glad to hear that your back will not require surgery. Take care of yourself....and your back.

Margie said...

Welcome Back Sandi!!!

I too keep my iron across the room to force me to move. The one other problem I have is with my embroidery work in the evenings. Get to going and forget about time till I do need to get up. Then I realize what I've done. Maybe I need to use a timer!

Take Care

Winona said...

Sandi, I am so glad you are feeling better and no surgery needed! Take care of yourself. Winona

Wendy said...

glad to hear things are getting better...mind your p's and q's...thinking of you...

Anonymous said...

Aww.. hugs to your mom! How thoughtful.

Good for you no surgery. I was not so lucky x's 2 in the neck. It can be very unsettling that is for sure.

I have a rule, every 15-30 minutes get up and do something. Sweep, load of laundry, dishes, let the dogs out.. must keep the body moving and circulation optimal.

Feel better and happy sewing.

Janice said...

So glad to hear you are on the mend. Slowly but surely things sound like they are improving. Don't overdo it though!!

Allie said...

SO glad you don't need surgery. Not one person I know that's had it has anything good to say about it.
Yes, keep moving. I have severe spinal arthritis in my neck, the nerves that run down my arms are pinched. Now my lower back is going. I'm thinking of starting Pilates - I read somewhere that he worked with WWI vets to relieve their pain.
Lovely package from your mum, and your pincushion is adorable!

Karen said...

What a nice surprise package from your Mom. Love your pincushion!

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018