Tuesday, February 3

Remembering Buddy Holly.......

There are those who say that this is "the day that the music died". And in a way, a part of the "heart" that was the music of the 1950's did die that day. Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper and Richie Valens all passed away in that small plane headed off to another date to play for more music-loving teens. As I write this, it is nearing 1:00 a.m. which is about the time it crashed forty - oops, a little edit here - Mary L. caught my error - that was fifty years ago today. I grew up in Iowa and the plane crash made big news. Ever after, if you mentioned Clear Lake, almost everyone thought of Buddy Holly. I was just a kid when it all happened but my Uncle was in high school - another edit here - my head hit the pillow and I realized Gordie, my uncle, was a freshman in college that year - and he and his friends felt that loss.
The album in the photo above is one of two Buddy Holly albums that were given to me by a friend. I think my friend had a crush on me but he was several years older than I was and I was interested in guys my age (it was the mid 60's and I was in high school at the time). He knew I liked Buddy Holly, though, and gave the albums to me anyway. One of them didn't survive Hurricane Camille in 1969 but this one is in fine shape. It's got all the best songs on it and was released after his death. You can hear most of them because my music today is songs from Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and the Big Bopper.
I think one of the most beautiful songs ever sung is Buddy Holly's "Raining in my Heart". Talk about a sad song. I practically cry every time I hear it. And it's not just the lyrics. It's that beautiful orchestra that is accompanying him. Listen to it carefully. Then there's "True Love Ways", a really beautiful love song. Both songs were recorded in 1958. He may be gone but his music still stands the test of time. Listen and enjoy.

I have an exciting afternoon ahead.........a visit to the dentist but I am going to make a stop at the local thrift shop so we shall see what fun things I find! I'll be back tomorrow with the snowman pattern for February and some tea and stitches and some Valentine fun and memories, too.

Sandi

Note: If you are a Buddy Holly fan you might enjoy the following links:
ArticlebyVanderbiltProfessor
FamousTexans
TheDeathofBuddyHolly
BuddyHollyArchivesTheDayTheMusicDied
BuddyHollyArchivesStillCherished
TheSurfBallroom50thAnniversaryEvent
TwinCitiesWCCOReportToday

6 comments:

Mary L. said...

You had me scratching my head and doing some math in my head for a bit. I think it's 50 years ago today..1959. Time flies. LOL. I was a young teen, also living in Iowa and I loved Buddy Holly and the other two as well. I have one of his albums and Raining In My Heart is also one of my favorites.

Needled Mom said...

I, too, remember the day well. We stopped in Clear Lake a couple of years ago on our way to visit my relatives in Iowa. It's a great little town and I am sure it had a big party this year.

We were in Pensacola, Fl. and lived through Camille. Were you there at that time too?

Julia said...

He was a fav of Dh amd mine...
I do remember the day...I was 16,, we have a couple of his records..
Julia ♥

wannabe crafty said...

I do not remember that day, but my love of music makes me wish he would have lived, can you imagine the music he could have made? He had such a smooth clear voice and vision.
thanks for sharing your memories.

Cindy said...

As soon as I opened up your blog today, I knew that was Buddy Holly's photograph. It's been on the news about today being 50 years since his accident.

Share the treasures you find from the Thrift Shop. You never know what you might find rummaging through everything.

rozhearts said...

Hi sandi,
I have just discovered your blog and will now put it into my favourites.
Here in Sydney Australia there is a show on called "The Buddy Holly Story" I hope to go see it sounds great. I just love all of his music.
As I have just found you is it too late to join in on your BOM? The first block is just so cute.
(((HUGS))) Roz.

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018