Monday, January 21

How cold is it?

Well, if I thought last Monday was cold, this Monday is really cold! When it goes below zero and stays there, then that is too cold for me! But, is there anything I can do about it? No, not really but as long as I can sew then it doesn't really matter how cold it is. And obviously, we have plenty of quilts to keep us warm at night! :-)  And even though I have plenty of quilts, I always love to make more! As I mentioned last Monday........ I've been busy sewing quilt blocks for a block of the month I designed several years ago. I do plan to share a photo tutorial for all of them very soon. I'm also busy with a couple of projects for church and our library and then family stuff so I'm not being a very good blogger. I've also been doing some sorting and finding stuff in my sewing room. It's always fun to see what has been set aside and forgotten. Lots of new/old projects to add to the "to do" list. And speaking of projects, I have a free one for you today and a story, too. First, some "show 'n tell" with photos of the little project. Take note of the green pincushion with the blue flower on it, and the one with the pink flower..............
I love to take a bit of wool or woolfelt or scraps of cotton and make a pincushion or cover a box to hold sewing supplies.
I can't knit or crochet but the pincushions in the photos below are made from crocheted jar lids that my mother stitched. That stack of felt is bamboo felt from National Nonwovens and it is super soft and easy to stitch!
Long ago, I shared my pattern for the little rose pincushion (the green one with the blue or pink flower in that first photo above) with members of our quilt group. One of the members, quilter Sue Hecker, recently posted that one of her projects she was going to finish this year was a  bunch of those pincushions. Check out her blog here and you can see those little pincushions in progress. She had signed up for Judy Laquidara's Get-It-Done challenge and it's one of the projects she plans to "Get-it-done". Check it out here.
Now, I said there was a story so here it is.............Sue sent me an e-mail saying that one of her readers was interested in my pincushion pattern. I offered to send it along for free. She didn't mention who it was but I said I'd be happy to send the pattern to her reader.  Guess who the reader was? It was Judy Laquidara! So, I sent her the pattern. She said she really liked it and wanted to make something other than quilts this year. Said I should put it for sale on my blog. I thought about it but then I thought.........I designed this years ago, have sold it many times over and also given it away. Let's give it away some more. And so, if you go here, you should find a free copy of the pattern so you can make my little Turkish Rose Pincushion. And if you do, send me a photo and I'll share it here on my blog. :-) Okay, that's all for today...........back to my sewing..........
Have a good Monday and a great week!
Sandi

11 comments:

Pat said...

I am quite certain I made that pincushion once but now that you mention it, I haven't seen it in awhile. I wonder if I gave it away to someone who commented that they like it? It is a fun project to do and it sure turns out nice! STAY WARM!!! Cold blast heading this way, too....and I don't like that at all. :(

Needled Mom said...

I have been thinking about you with the cold weather. When they said the high was only suppose to be -5* I really felt sorry for you. Brr.

Thanks for the link to the pattern. I enjoyed reading your inspiration for it.

Kate said...

Sandi, I love your collection of pincushions. Would surely like your mom to give us a tutorial on how to make her crocheted ones - they're so sweet. Thanks for your pattern.
It's very cold here, too, and we've been under a 'wind chill warning' for 2 full days; we don't mind staying in but Little Dog still wants to have her run every day. :(

Beth said...

I love making pincushions. Thank you for the free pattern. This will be on my to do list. I enjoy working in wool.
The crocheted pincushions are adorable too.
Stay warm.
That cold artic air reached here too, although we are a bit warmer than you.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

What cute little pincushions. It's cold here, too. We got down to -2 degrees this morning. Not sure how cold the wind chill was last night. I don't like it when it drops below 20.

Lline said...

When I went to get your 'Turkish Rose' pincushion I also saw 'Stars and Stripes' and 'Christmas Joy' letters below as others stuff by you. When I clicked on them Scribd asked for a $9 day pass to print these patterns. If that's what you intended and you are getting the monies that's cool if not I just thought you should know. I've seen this before. Someone will say 'free pattern here' and Scribd asks for money to get in. Not always just sometimes.

Jacquelynne Steves said...

The colors of the felts are yummy :)
Today was the coldest day we've had in almost a year- high of 24 degrees! But that doesn't compare to YOUR winters!

NancyB85374 said...

Thank you, Sandi. I came here from Judy L's blog. This is so cute and you are so generous to share.

Anita said...

Thanks for the free pattern, it is very cute :)

Darlene's Dabbles said...

Your pin cushion looks so sweet and I would like to make one. However, I can't seem to get it to download. Must be me or my computer, as others seem to be getting it. I can get to the scribd. page and anything I click on will not download. Any advice for me? Thanks

Anonymous said...

I always love seeing pictures of your "stuff" and thanks for the comment about the National Nonwovens. Since it is only 20% wool, I had been waffling about trying it, but if you say it's soft, then I'll try some out!

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018