Tuesday, April 19

A DayTreat and a Birthday Treat, too!

Good morning, my quilty friends! Here's another photo of Heidi with her "Candy Dish" quilt. I just love the colors in this quilt. Heidi told us that when she designed it, that the quilt reminded her of colorful, old-fashioned candy. I agree! 
Funny thing is that I never liked to eat colorful candy but I thought it was very pretty. I always went for the chocolate covered peanuts. :-)
Here are some more photos of the gals who attended the DayTreat. They are all cutting the strips of fabric from which the triangles are then cut. The triangle Kaleido ruler makes this soooo easy to do! 
This is Laurie House .........
and here is Barbara Benham ...........

and Pat Steckman and Connie Dummer having way too much fun cutting..........


and this is my daughter, Collette, cutting the batiks that I bought her. If you go over to Heidi's blog, you can see the range of fat quarters she'll be using in her quilt blocks.  I think it will look so pretty and will be perfect in her living room.


With all that cutting, the gals worked up an appetite. I wasn't doing any cutting or sewing at this point but was busy with lunch and noon "gifties".  With help from Collette, we set out the lunch for the day........
Yummy chicken salad (from Toody's Sweets and Treats) and really delicious breads from CrossRoads Bakery over in Gaylord. There were cookies I baked and decorated and if my husband sees these, he will ask why I didn't save any for him! LOL! We ate at our sewing spots. After all, we had work to stay close to!!!
I mentioned that this day was a birthday treat, too. Those batiks that I bought for my daughter were her birthday gift. Today is her real birthday. I love to plan a quilty outing that lets us get together and celebrate her day. Just a fun way for us to enjoy time together. So, Happy Birthday, Collette!

There were gifts for all the other gals, too. Once I had contacted Heidi last fall, and we set a date for the class, I knew what my gift holder would be.  I began searching local thrift stores and antique shops for candy dishes!  I found a wide variety of them that I used for holding gifts and candies for everyone. You can see the one that Pandora received in the lower right corner of this picture. Tomorrow, I'll show you all the candy dishes. I loved each one of them and would have kept them all but just how many candy dishes could I, or should I, fill with chocolate covered peanuts?  :-)

Heidi was an excellent instructor. She was very "hands-on" and very helpful. At first, there was a bit of a "learning curve" to make sure that we were cutting the strips the right width and then using the right marking on the Kaleido ruler to cut the triangles. Heidi is helping Linda and just a few minutes after this, she was helping Pandora. She also cut triangles for Collette and ironed for Barbara and several of the other gals. She was sooooo helpful and everyone really appreciated it!!

The actual class time ended at 2:30 p.m. but Heidi stayed on til almost 4:00 p.m. helping with the cutting and ironing.  Before she left we took a group picture.......


Front row........Collette and Pandora
Second row.......Kathy, Barbara, Heidi, Sue and Pat
Third row......Laurie, Carol, Peggy and Becky
Back row......Linda, Connie and Connie

And then we took a cupcake break..........

and for some of us a Mocha Latte from Bittersweet*Coffee-and-Cafe.  We said our good-byes to Heidi and then it was back to sewing. I'll bet you are wondering if we actually stitched any blocks, aren't you?  I'll let you know tomorrow.............
Sandi  :-) 

9 comments:

Crispy said...

Everyone seems to be having a wonderful time :0)

I must admit I trembled when I saw how skinny that ruler Collette was using with a rotary cutter. BAD QUILTER!! LOL

Crispy

Mommarock said...

I'm thinking you can never have too many candy dishes filled with chocolate!!

Needled Mom said...

Happy birthday to Collette. What a wonderful idea it was to plan a getaway to spend time together doing what you love.

I love the idea of the candy dish and that quilt is lovely. I can't wait to see what you created.

Jocelyn said...

How very fun. And it looks like you had a nice group of ladies enjoying the day.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I would love to have a day like this....Maybe someday. =)

Beth said...

Looks like it was a really great day. What a good idea to use candy dishes as part of the party gifts.

The lunch looked yummy. But the cupcakes. When we were littlemyMom made lots of those cut up cakes and she made a bunny at Easter time. Reason I thought of that is I saw the tinted coconut in the cupcake and the cakes Mom made were all topped with tinited coconut. Brought back great memories and made me want one of your cute cupcakes.

Pat said...

Now...wait a minute...I don't think I saw you in that group picture...I'll need to go back and look. There sure are happy faces in that photo, though!

Jayne Honnold said...

Looks like a fun group and a productive day! The treats look good, too!

Anonymous said...

Hmm, there seems to be someone missing from that picture. I think it might be Sandi!

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018