Wednesday, September 10

Henderson Heritage Days coming up!

I don't have any quilting photos to post today as I am busy preparing for the display of quilts that I will set up at the Henderson Library during Heritage Days this weekend. So, let me tell you all about Heritage Days, an annual festival that is held in my new hometown of Henderson, MN. It's coming up this weekend, September 13th and 14th and if you are going to be in the area, you should stop and enjoy the fun! This year is Minnesota's 150th birthday so the setting for Heritage Days this weekend will be a trip back in time to the late 1800's. You'll find costumed volunteers strolling Main Street and taking on the characters of citizens long gone, but certainly important to the history of our little town and the state of Minnesota.

Here are a few of the historic buildings in Henderson but there are many more. This is St. Paul's United Church of Christ (it's the church I attend) and at noon and 6:00 you'll want to stop and listen to the carillion that plays hymns over the loudspeaker in the church steeple. You'll feel like you've not only stepped back in time, but have returned to the "old country", too.

This is the City Hall building which dates from the late 1800's as do most of the buildings on Main Street.

Heading west out of town, you pass the historical society and the school hill flag and further up the hill one of Henderson's charming homes.



This lovely building houses the Sibley County Historical Society and if you want to see a sample of the quilts you'll find inside just click here. A couple of the quilts will be on display at the Henderson Library this weekend in the quilt exhibit that I am preparing.


You can shop for antiques on Main Street or pop into Henderson Classical Glass. You will find exquisite treasures in both shops!

If you need an ice cream cone be sure to stop at Toody's Sweets and Treats. Across the street is the Henderson Post Office and Joel King Photography and it's Joel who has the green thumb that keeps those plants so lovely.
These are just a few photos I took a few weeks ago when I featured Bittersweet and the quilts that I have on display at the cafe. Don't depend on me to tell you what a lovely time you will have in Henderson. Instead, come and find out for yourself! Click on HeritageDays for a schedule of events.
So while I didn't post any quilt photos today, I did give you a couple of links to quilts and if you come to town this weekend, you can see the real thing. You'll find me at the Henderson Library surrounded by quilts and ready to talk fabric, piecing, and stitching!!!




6 comments:

Unknown said...

These pictures are lovely. What beautiful architecture.
Teresa

Gayle said...

What a wonderful field trip! Thank you for taking us along.

Nanette Merrill said...

What a lovely city! I miss the old buildings where I grew up in Pennsylvania. My town in Utah was a tiny town until the 70s and then "comers" filled it up! So there isn't much history here. I still belong to the historical society in my home town even though I don't live there.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I LOVE Henderson! Great looki8ng town. I love older buildings! Maybe I'll get to visit one day! xoxom

www.marklipinski.com

Chookyblue...... said...

you have some beauitful building to look at......thanks for sharing

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Thanks for the tour! I'm from MN.(Faribault, Melrose, and family in Wabasha) and go back in the summer to Spicer, where I have a cabin! Now I can see I need to do a road trip down south as bit to scope the antique shops! But home is NYC now... thanks for sharing!

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018