Monday, September 12

What's on the line....sort of........

For the second week in a row, I don't actually have something on my clothesline.  I really wanted to hang this quilt on the clothesline......but it was too long!!  Since our new deck is finished, I asked my husband, Steve, to lend a hand. This is the extra long NASCAR/Corvette/Indy 500 quilt that I made for him and he's holding it along the deck railing so you can see it............

I made this quilt top and gave it to him for a Christmas gift in 2005. Yes, that's quite a few years ago....... so anyway, I had collected remnants and bought bits of race-themed fabrics so that I could make him a scrappy race-themed quilt. Sewing the top together was the easy part. The quilting was a different story. I thought about just tieing the quilt with yarn because this is a "comfort quilt". But it will be used a lot so I thought maybe it would be better if it was machine-quilted. My walking foot for my machine doesn't work right anymore so there was no way I could do it (yes, I need a new machine.......someday). I checked around and had Lucy in Mankato quilt it for me and had it done in February of this past year. And then life got busy and I never got to the binding but I decided a couple weeks ago that this quilt had to become a finished project. And it did!! And has it been used? Definitely. Interestingly, my husband finds it so comfy that he drapes it over the new recliners we bought this past spring because he says the quilt feels better than the chair fabric!  I think it's about nine feet long so it is a great quilt for Sunday afternoon naps. wink wink :-)

Now about that deck.......I thought I had taken a picture of it after the guys stained it last week but I didn't so I'll get one later today and share in my next post. I did take a picture of the little chair and footstool I told you about. Here is the before picture............

The chair was one that was in our old church storage room and when they were tossing stuff I grabbed this one. I sanded it down, along with that little wooden heart stool and on Saturday afternoon, I took left-over deck stain and applied it to both pieces. I'll get a photo of the "after" photo when I'm out taking the deck picture. I wanted Kaiser to look up at the camera but no matter how many times I said his name he would not look up at me. Dictionary meaning for beagle = stubborn. :-)
After I stained the chair and the little stool, I did laundry and other stuff and then after a taco supper, I decided to bake these............

They are just chocolate chip cookies but I added some of those new Kraft caramel bits ............well, actually I added a lot of the caramel bits which caused a slight problem. The caramel made the cookies kinda soft and so I had to fold them over, like turn-overs and it didn't hurt the taste at all as they were quite crispy around the edgy and all caramely and chocolaty in the middle. They were awfully good dunked in cold milk!

Yesterday afternoon, Sunday, September 11, I decided to take some photos of Henderson.........
So, after I left church, I drove up the hill just a bit and took this picture looking east down Main Street. Remember this picture. The local weather-folk are saying the fall colors are going to be gorgeous this year so I thought it would be interesting to take a photo from this same spot every few days and show you all the changing colors here in the Minnesota River Valley. Off to the left of the fire hydrant, sits this gorgeous home that is now the Sibley County Historical Society.............
As I was snapping pictures of it, a large number of motorcycles came up the street and I waved at them and momentarily wished I was taking off with them. Only momentarily, though. LOL!  It was a really beautiful day for a ride!

From the top of the hill near our house, this is the view down into the valley and the town of Henderson. That's the steeple of St. Joseph's Catholic Church in the middle of the photo.  This photo, too, will look very different as the leaves change color.


And speaking of change..........we are to be near 90 degrees today but by tomorrow, we will only be in the mid 60's. Now that's Change!! I'm all for it because you know I love that cool, crisp air of Fall!! All for now. Next week there really will be a quilt on the line!
Have a great Monday and a good start to the week!
Sandi

8 comments:

Pat said...

GREAT idea to take several photos at the same spot so we can see the fall foliage as it changes in your area. The Nascar quilt turned out really nice and you got it finished before the current Nascar season is done...YAY!!! :)

Beth said...

Like the quilt on the deck. The pictures are just beautiful. Makes me want to move.

Snoodles said...

Love your NASCAR quilt, but what I am really looking forward to, is seeing how the little chair and stool turn out, and how you dress them up for fall. You're going to put them on your porch, right? Love the stubborn beagle! LOL

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Loved the photos.....Good looking husband doing your bidding,a brand new deck, a sweet puppy dog, lovely town, and flirting with a biker.

Sounds like a great day to me.

Anonymous said...

I love your photos, especially of Main Street I grew up in Newell, Iowa, and have a very soft place in my heart for the mid-west. My memories of my childhood and youth are idyllic. I've lived in Oregon for 52 years and love it here, but as I said, there is still that soft spot in my heart. I'm looking forward to your 'fall series' of pictures!

Nanette Merrill said...

I love that house. I am glad to see you take more photos of it and the motorcycles are cute riding around the corner. The Nascar quilt is great.

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I am just getting back to a somewhat normal ...but I love the Nascar quilt and wanted to thank you for joining my small blog. Have a very creative week and keep on trucking!!! Peace be with you, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Great photos. I was traveling when the cold front hit. I had to buy shoes with toes in them in OK (and socks). I didn't think I'd need them in Texas and OK. I made a racing themed quilt for my hubby for our 20th. He races slot cars, and his quilt hangs by his race track in the basement.

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018