Monday, September 19

What's on the line?

Baby quilts are on the line today! These are three little quilts that I found mixed in with some of the larger quilts that my dad bought. They aren't all that old or unique but someone made each one of these for someone special and so...........these baby quilts are special for that very reason! I love this simple patchwork baby quilt. It's a mix of fabrics that I can tell date from the 1950's into the 1970's.

The quiltmaker stitched up her patchwork blocks and then added embroidery around each block. She used different colored floss and stitched around them in feather stitch. The batting in the quilt is an old pink quilted bedspread and the backing...........
well, the backing is that lavendar and blue floral that you see above. You can also see just a bit of the pink quilted bedspread showing through a whole in the back of the quilt. Further up the back of the quilt, the floral fabric is in shreds but at this time, I don't plan to repair it but will keep it just as it is. At some point, I may "stabalize the backing" ...... like on some cold winter night when I need the warmth of a lap-quilt! LOL!

This baby quilt is just exquisitively pieced and hand-quilted. It is just lovely.
Unfortunately, it's got some stains and it is faded and worn but it still has charm!

And even this baby quilt, simple as it is, it also has charm..........
It's not really a quilt because the maker stitched her top and then tied it with yarn, but I love how she chose to use just the two colors and then used purple, lavendar and yellow yarn for the ties. Of the three quilts, this one is in the best condition.

I took these quilt photos on Saturday afternoon because I knew we were to get rain on Sunday. In the photo below, you can see the area where I have strung my clothesline between two trees. The quilt you see there is the one I'll be sharing next Monday.
You can also see that the trees are still quite green but the leaves are beginning to turn yellow up the right side of the tree in the photo above.  We haven't had any rain for almost two weeks here so the rain we got on Sunday was a welcoming soft rain that watered gardens and crops. A soft drizzle was falling when I took this photo below.........
It was taken after church, about the same time as the one I took last Sunday. I thought there might be more change in color but things are still really green.  Off to the right in the photo above is the house you see below...........

and those bushes are turning a beautiful red!  I love the house in the background and it's for sale! I think it would make a great quilt shop. What do you think? 

Today, I'll be getting out my fall decorations. I started doing some decorating last week, but got sidetracked. Kaiser the Wonder Beagle was sick all day Friday so I felt like I was caring for a sick toddler. He was fine by Saturday and then I was tired.......but not sick. I was glad because I didn't want to miss the Henderson Fire Department Pork Chop Dinner. 

I dearly love it when someone else cooks. :-) And it's also nice that someone else cleans up!
Hope this day is a great start to a great week!
Sandi

9 comments:

Pat said...

I will be looking forward to more comparison photos of that street scene as the leaves change and then...perhaps..you will also show us some winter photos of the same area? I'm glad Kaiser is better now.

Jayne Honnold said...

I love doll quilts. Thanks for sharing pics of yours. I have one from when I was a child, and several that I made for my girls when they were toddlers. Enjoyed seeing the photos of your town, too!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Thanks for sharing those wonderful quilts.
I'm so looking forward to your photos as the leaves change colors!

Snoodles said...

Having someone else cook AND clean? Girl, you have got it made!! Love the three baby quilts --- thanks for sharing them on the line.
I like your deck in the previous post (your house is gorgimungous, by the way) and the color is great. Our house is a light gray, and we chose a cedar stain for the deck; it really sets it off nicely.

Diane Wild said...

Baby quilts are wonderful no matter what shape they're in. And fun to make, too. They work up quickly and the fabrics are always full of color and imagination.

Love Of Quilts said...

I like seeing all your quilts and you sure do have a lot of them to share...I like the older ones too and just keep them around to look at. Trish

Anonymous said...

I love the baby quilt pictures and the fall landscape, but I am intrigued by the house that could be a quilt shop. Is it for sale? You have so many friends who are wonderful quilters that I think you could find partners and also teachers for any classes that you don't have time for.

Of course, you are already the busiest person I know, but it sounds like an owlfully good idea to me.

The Owl Lady

Nanette Merrill said...

Henderson is a great place. Love the vintage quilts.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

That would make a great quilt shop. You could put a 'barn quilt' on the front, buy the door. People would really know what it was then.

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018