Monday, June 28

"What's on the line?"

I have a couple of favorite quilt tops on the line and they are full of fabulous scrappy prints! These quilt tops were given to me by my friend, Kristi. We were members of the same church and became close friends even though she was young enough to be my daughter. Age is no boundary to friendship and isn't that a nice thing? We are still friends even though we haven't seen each other in more than ten years. She moved to the west coast with her family and we moved from the suburbs to the lovely town of Henderson. :-) Distance is no barrier to friendship and that's also a very nice thing. Shortly before Kristi moved she asked me to come over and look at a couple of quilt tops that she thought I might be interested in seeing. They were scrappy tops made my her grandmother in Kansas. It wasn't her grandma's normal style of quilting, Kristi said, as most of her quilts were pretty applique ones and well-planned patchwork quilts that were hand-quilted. She showed me two of those lovely quilts that she had received when her grandma passed away. These quilt tops, though, were ones that no family member wanted, but Kristi took them. She saw something in the quilts and knew they couldn't just be discarded. She knew how much I enjoyed teaching and making quilts and so she asked if I would like to have them. And I, of course, said, Yes! Here is the largest one...............
Doesn't it look beautiful blowing in the wind? Now if you double-click on the photo below, you can see a close-up of some of the fabrics............
And another view of the fabrics........
And still another view of the fabulous scrap prints that make up this quilt top!

The second quilt top is slightly smaller and looks just as pretty blowing in the wind as the first quilt top did!
Here are a couple of pictures that you can double-click to enlarge and see the variety of fabric scraps that make up the quilt top.
I really like the fabric strips in the picture below.......yellow ribbons tied in a bow and wouldn't I love to have some of that fabric in my stash right now!!!

I have thanked Kristi many times for putting these quilt tops in my care. One day, I may have them machine quilted so that the fabrics will be stabalized but right now, I keep them wrapped in acid-free tissue. I love to take them out and look at them and wonder what the fabrics were originally used for......dresses or curtains or just for quilts? What a treasure they are!
Now, one more thing about Kristi........a number of years ago, the purple Bachman's Floral truck pulled up in my driveway and the deliveryman brought a bouquet to my door. I remember thinking he might have the wrong house as my husband is not a flower guy. The last time the purple truck came to my door was on my 30th birthday when my mother sent me flowers. It was a lovely and extravagant surprise from her. So when I opened the card and saw that the flowers had come from Kristi, I was a bit surprised. The sentiment on the card made me smile. It said simply......"Just because, Kristi". I loved the sentiment. It was fitting......no real reason, just friendship made Kristi send those flowers. Each time I see the quilt tops that she gave me, I think of those flowers and I think of her and her grandmother, a woman I never met but I know we would have connected through quilting. I love connecting through quilting, through needle and thread and a love of stitching. I count my blessings when I start to count all the friends that I've made through those connections! Some are quilters, some just enjoy looking at quilts and needlework, some craft while others don't, some blog and some don't. They, and you who are reading this, are all friends........just because!!! And isn't that a really nice thing?
Hope this day is the start of a great week!! After several days of very stormy weather here in Minnesota, we are looking at a week of sunshine ahead! Something fun is coming up on my blog tomorrow. Be sure to check in....just because!
Sandi

15 comments:

Pat said...

It shows how much Kristi treasures your friendship that she would give those family treasures to you....and I think she chose wisely. Thanks for sharing such great photos of them with us.

ooglebloops said...

I hope Kristi reads your blog - this post was a nice tribute! So nice that she passed these quilts on to you!!!

Crispy said...

Now that is a true friendship!!

Crispy

luv2quilt2 said...

What a great friend to give you such wonderful gifts! Obviously she knew how you would treasure them.

Needled Mom said...

I always enjoy your line on Mondays. Those quilts are wonderful and, yes, I love those fabrics too. I am sure each fabric has a story to tell if they could only speak.

Krisit sounds like such a wonderful friend. Isn't it fabulous to know that age doesn't make barriers between good friends?

Amber H. said...

I really like both quilts! I'm thinking they were made from clothing, but again, who knows? Her grandmother did such a wonderful job on them! I'm sure when you do eventually quilt them, you'll do a wonderful job!

Winona said...

Wonderful post, Sandi. Kristi sounds like a great friend. Have a good day. Winona

Beth said...

You make me like Monday. LOL
Those scrappy quilts are just fantastic.
Thanks for sharing your lovely quilts with us.

Lindah said...

There is something so special about quilting women and their quilts. Thanks for sharing this story of friendship with us. I'm just checking in today to let you know that I'm over here reading all your posts --whether I say Hi or not.

Joanne Lendaro said...

Wow!! How wonderful!! Beautiful quilts!!

annemarie said...

What a wonderful friend and wonderful quilts.

Pat said...

SANDI: I'AM DOING THIS PART LARGE TO TRY AND CATCH YOUR EYE, MY DEAR.
...DON'T HAVE THOSE TOPS MACHINE QUILTED......There. Now, that I hope you will read this, It's wonderful that Kristi gave you such lovely "treasures". It's great the way you are storing them in the acid-free tissue. After doing all of that, why on earth would you even want them "machine quilted"? Have you had anyone appraise them? I've been quilting over 50 years, teaching, etc.
Sandi: Once you machine quilt those "OLD TREASURES" the value of the tops will decrease. Keep the old "tops" like they are. They also have more meaning to the past like they are, then if you would have them machine quilted. ALSO, if they were made by her grandmother in Kansas is a big plus also. Lot's of "old old" patterns from Kansas, big time.
You not only have the "treasures" for memories from Kristi giving them to you; you also have great "treasures" from a super quilter from the past.
I looked as close as I could on here at the fabrics, Sandi, and they are very old, my dear. I don't know if you washed the tops yet, but I don't wash my "older quilts, or some that I purchase or that are given to me, because the detergents, etc. are too much for the fabric to handle sometimes. Also, sometimes just getting old tops wet, can seperate the threads on some of the fabrics, and it's gone. I would just appreciate, and love those tops like they are, and show others how most beautiful they really are.
The fabrics actually take me back some also. Thank you for sharing, Sandi. Sorry this was so long, but I just got so excited when I saw them, and got close-up views of the patterns, and the fabrics. Keep information with the tops. There's more I could say, but I think I said enough, or more than enough; but I'am going to look at them again after I close out here.
Happy Quilting!
Happy Quilting!

Love Of Quilts said...

Oh my those would have been the ones I would have wanted...may have been the first quilt tops her granny made while learning to quilt....I'm so glad that you care for them...as I do think they are treasures. Trish

GeeGee said...

Thanks for sharing your quilts and the wonderful stories. I love your blog and visit often, although I don't always comment. Also, thanks for sharing your talents!!

Sherri said...

Love these scrappy quilts...especially the first one...it's amazing!

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018