Wednesday, November 26

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!


This rather large hay bail turkey sits at the west end of Main Street in Henderson, MN and right in front of the Sibley County Historical Society Museum. I just think it's so fun!! He is no danger of ending up on anyone's dinner table. Hope you are all looking forward to a fine meal with lots of family and friends. Our kids and grandson will be joining us and we each have our part - Steve cooks the turkey, I'm the pie baker and mashed potato maker - real mashed potatoes (I fell down on the job last year when I didn't cook the potatoes in time and we had to eat instant mashed potatoes - won't happen this year!!), Collette and Daryl are making green bean casserole and sweet potato casserole, and Devlin is bringing bread. His girlfriend Stacia will be in Iowa with family. And Jacob will be busy playing with cars and toys and Kaiser will be cruising for crumbs! :-) We have much to be thankful for and family is at the top of the list. We are also blessed with food on our table, sufficient clothing and shelter for our needs, and so much more. My heart was truly warmed when yesterday I received word that many of our donations from the Sew and Share group have been so welcome to those who lost so much in the flooding in Iowa this past summer. Many are still not in their homes and so what I have is so much more than they have. We made only a dent but at least we made a dent!!! There is still a need for larger quilts, queen size so if you are reading this and have a quilt you would want to donate, please e-mail me. It doesn't have to be a machine quilted fancy quilt. Nope, a lovely patchwork tied quilt that will provide winter warmth is all that it takes. Let me know if you have one you could spare.
Must run and frost a cake for the coffee time after this evenings Thanksgiving service at the church. And while I'm at it, I'll remember to grab the peanut butter ball recipe (I got it and added it below). There is, oh, so much to do at this time of year that sometimes, I "short-circuit" and forget things. Well, that's my excuse anyway. :-)
Sandi

Peanut Butter Candies

1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter

1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened

1 tsp.vanilla

1 - 16 oz pkg. powdered sugar

1 - 6 oz. pkg. semisweet chocolate chips

2 tblsps. solid vegetable shortening (Butter flavor Crisco)

In medium bowl, mix peanut butter, margarine or butter, vanilla and sugar with hands to form a smooth dough. Mixture will be very stiff (and may be somewhat crumbly). Shape dough into small balls. Place on wax paper or parchment paper covered tray and then refrigerate while you prepare chocolate coating. You can also make the peanut butter balls one night and do the chocolate dip the next night. Use double boiler to melt chocolate and shortening together (I don't have a double boiler so I am just very careful to melt the chocolate and shortening very slowly). When the chocolate mixture is smooth, it's ready for dipping. Remove peanut butter balls from refrigerator and insert toothpick into ball and dip into melted chocolate and coat 3/4's of the ball (so that the peanut butter ball "peeks through"). Place on the wax paper/parchment paper surface and remove pick. When all are coated, place in refrigerator for 30 minutes and then they are ready to eat. These are a bit of work but they are really good. They also disappear really fast!!! The original recipe was given to me by a neighbor back in the 80's and I think it came from one of the women's magazines of that time. Have fun and enjoy the goodies!!!

7 comments:

Mary Grace McNamara said...

Hi Sandi, that recipe is the exact recipe I will be making with my daughter once the dinner dishes are cleaned up tonight! I know them as buckeyes, and am making them because we are having friends over tomorrow evening for dessert and two of them cannot eat gluten so this is a good treat for them.

Love that big hay bale turkey too. We have big turkeys that roam through our backyard sometimes, but they are not nearly THAT big!

Have a happy Thanksgiving!

MGM

knitwit said...

Thanks for the recipe Sandi, I'll be making it for our family Christmas.
Love the turkey!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family and all my friends across the border.
I'm looking forward to your Christmas ornament patterns.
Ruth in Canada

Caesar Beezer The Wonder Dog said...

Hi! I just found you (thru Freda's Hive) and I'm so glad I did! I love your penny rug and the picture of the turkey...now where is Henderson, MN? We used to live in Shoreview, MN, just north of St. Paul - I love the Twin Cities! Have a happy Thanksgiving and I hope you leave yourself plenty of time for those REAL potatoes! Nan (oh, Google/Blogger only lets me sign in with my dog's blog...but I have one, too, it's www.potsandpins.com )

Mel said...

Thanks for all the fun stuff Sandi! Hope you enjoyed your holiday!

Samantha said...

My mother-in-law also has been making "buckeyes" for about 30 or 40 years- they were always my husband's favorite when he was growing up. Some (delicious) things never go out of style!

Kaye said...

Blessings to You and Yours, thanks for that yummy recipe. That Turkey is awesome and so clever!

Dee M said...

Thanks for the recipe! We know them as 'buckeyes', too. I'm originally from northern Kentucky... across the river from the 'Buckeye' state (Ohio).

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018