Monday, November 10

Down the slide to winter!

Oh, my, winter has landed in Minnesota. We may have been 70 and sunny last Monday but that was likely the last of our warm fall days. We got a little snow this past Friday, and no, I haven't been out sledding or making snow angels but I did take a little blogging break after doing all the posts about our retreat. With the change in the weather, I realized I needed to do something about warmer clothes. The flip flops are gone and the winter coats have come out. Even my dog isn't fond of wind and snowflakes while he's doing his duties. Speaking of Kaiser, here he is in all his regal beagleness.........That's his blanket that I whipped up for him. He has a cushion he lays on and then I cover him with the blanket. In dry weather it clings to him when he gets up and walks so this time I took a picture of him because he looks like a king in a royal red robe. He likes to think he is a king and prefers my sewing chair for his throne but I have demoted him to his cushion these days. We're doing a little training. :-)


As you can see, Kaiser has no problems staying warm and comfy. I, on the other hand, was not warm and comfy so had to go in search of a warmer sweater. That's when I realized, I needed to do something about my closet. I am amazed that we have lived here not quite two years and I already need to "thin out" the stuff in my closet. Some of the stuff needed to be "thinned out" because I am not "thin enough" to wear some of it anymore. Get what I mean? Then I keep some things for sentimental reasons but I think it's time to pass the sentiment along, so I got a bag and started filling it with .......a jacket, slacks, shoes, sweaters, knit tops, a lovely suit, a gorgeous jacket for somebody's night out, purses, etc. It'll all go to the county thrift shop and someone else will get some good use out of it all. None of it's worn-out or out-dated, it just doesn't fit right. A thought here - I've discovered that you can really like something and it can look great on a hanger and then look awful when you put it on. I needed the folks from "What not to wear?" to come to my closet. :-) But enough "clothes talk" ............ How about a cool picture?

This was the sun setting last Tuesday afternoon. We were still enjoying warm weather that day but it was so warm that those of us attending Bible Study that day, all agreed that it couldn't last. When we saw each other at church this morning, we all commented on how quickly the weather did it's turn-around. Time to think of soup in the crockpot and warm bread from the oven!

Speaking of food, look at the lovely dessert that Arline served us at Bible Study last Tuesday (I was busy posting retreat pics and never got to this one). Arline is a collector of teacups and I chose to sit at the plate with this lovely pink tea cup and saucer. Each one is unique and has a story. I have a few tea cups but none as lovely as Arline's are. The dessert she served was a peach/pecan concoction that was delicious. I had not been to Bible Study for a couple of weeks because of preparing for and then winding down from the retreat so it was a joy to be with all my friends. As always, we start with food and friendship, then it's a lesson and sharing thoughts. Good food for the body and the soul!

This past Friday, I was out doing my grocery shopping and then rewarded myself with a stop at the GoodWill store. I actually found a lovely little teacup and saucer and it was $1.98! I have to take a photo of it and a couple of other tea related items that I found and will post those in the next few days. And while I've not been blogging the past couple of days, there is a "thread on friendship" that is taking shape in my head and I will be posting it in the next few days. It kind of expands on the "Friends" theme from my retreat and then adds in the new blogging friends and connections.
That's all for tonight. Time to snuggle under the covers and get some sleep.
Sandi
P.S. For a peak at our "Winter Wonderland" that arrived on Friday, check out SuesBlog for some lovely photos. :-)

3 comments:

Nanette Merrill said...

I love the quilt on your header. It is fabulous. I want to see your $2.00 teacup and saucer too. I love those things. I don't drink tea or coffee but I still enjoy the shape and style of teacups and teapots. And I have a small collection too. They are just fun. Winter is upon us. It was raining when I left for work today. Better than snow I guess.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

I have all of my MIL's old teacups and saucers. Her mother worked for a florist back in the day and they would do floral arrangements in the teacups. She and her twin sister had oodles of them. I got all of hers and I love them. They are very old. I wish they were dated on the bottom.

cedar chest quilts said...

I love your new quilt you've hung up (on your blog). I enjoyed all you shared about your retreat--I often visit but click on a link to something and forget to say hi first. Stay warm and keep quilting, Angie

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018