Thursday, July 24

Off to Iowa and back again...........

I took a little break and went home to Iowa for a family reunion and a visit with my mom. Had a great weekend, although thunderstorms rolled through every night! I love thunderstorms but not when the wind comes with it them. Here's a little glimpse of the trip .................

I have headed south on Hwy. 169 so many times that if there was an "auto-pilot" feature on my car it would know the way!! Certain spots along the route are favorites and I was reminded of this when I had to stop for construction. This is a view out my window as I waited for the one way road to clear so our line of traffic could pass. It's just a cornfield near Burt, Iowa but is that sky pretty or what? And look at that great field of corn!! On my return trip, I took a few photos of those favorite spots I pass on Hwy. 169 and will share them with you in a couple of days.

As I mentioned, there were storms off and on all weekend. My mom and I went shopping later Friday afternoon and here were some clouds building up in the sky. Notice the sign on the right. Yep, we were at the Dollar Store.
On our drive home, we took the "scenic route" and drove past the place where the old farmhouse sat that we lived in when my sister and I were little girls. All that's left is a field of corn and in place of the house and outbuildings there are two new tin grain bins. No reason to take a picture there but...................

........... a little further down the road was the spot where a little green house sat and it was where we lived when I was a baby (pictured above). It's still a beautiful place and there are wildflowers growing all over the lot. The house is long gone but it was fun to hear my mom tell about living there and of how kind the neighbors were to our young family.


With storms, of course, comes hot weather so we had to make a stop at the Nifty Fifty's Ice Cream shop.


That's Penny behind the counter. She delivered up a hot fudge sundae for me that was huge even though I ordered a small one! And for my mom, it was a bowl of "Twist" - vanilla and chocolate from the ice cream machine. It was deeeeeelicious!!
Later on, we looked at pictures from the quilt show held at the library last month. I got out the Butterfly quilt that my mom shared and took a closer look at it. It would be a fun one to recreate. I'll post pics of it tomorrow. Til then, sweet dreams................

No comments:

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018