Tuesday, September 29

Crazy for Quilting!

And crazy for crazy quilts! I like crazy quilts because there are no rules when making a crazy quilt. You just take your fabrics and start stitching and embellishing and you get "lost" in the creative process. I think I like crazy quilting because when I am stitching a crazy quilt project I get so "lost" in the creative process that I forget about the craziness of real life! Here's another old crazy quilt that belongs to my mother.

This one is in very good condition. The backing on this one is the red fabric that borders this quilt. I love the circle in the center and decided to invent my own story for the maker..........I am sure it's a wagon-wheel that is a symbol for the wagon that carried the young woman who stitched this across country from the East to Ohio, to Missouri and then north to Iowa.

Speaking of stories, have any of you read the books by Emilie Richards? I am currently reading "Sister's Choice". She also has quilting instruction books that go along with her novels. Who is your favorite author of quilting related stories? And what's your favorite quilting book? I treasure a copy of "The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt" by Carrie Hall and Rose Kretsinger. My favorite instruction books are in my small collection of old quilting books that first inspired me. Then I have several of Better Homes and Gardens quilting books that area a staple for finding blocks and quilts to make.

Hope you are enjoying a quilty day wherever you are. Lovely crisp, fall day here in the midwest!
Sandi

5 comments:

Pat said...

Of course, since I am now making the blocks for Sylvia's Bridal Sampler, I'd have to say I love Jennifer Chaverini's books, but I did read Emilie Richard's quilt series and I really do enjoy her books a LOT. I think I'm going through my things and getting rid of my crazy quilt stuff eventually....since I just never got into doing that. YOU may be the lucky recipient (when I get around to doing this).

Val said...

I love this crazy quilt. It is gorgeous. It is cool here too. We are on a business trip in the Blue Ridge GA. mountains and it was 41 degrees this morning. I love it.

Crispy said...

I have only read some of Jennifer Chiaverini books. Quilt stories are always so good though.

Crispy

Karen said...

The quilt has a very patriotic look!

Micki said...

I love your crazy quilt...it is just lovely. I have read all of Jennifer Chiaverini's books and loved them all. The first book reminded me a bit of my move to Ireland 13 years ago.
Micki

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018