Monday, May 27

Remembering..........

It's Memorial Day, the day that we remember loved ones who have passed on. The tradition began after the Civil War and was originally called "Decoration Day". That's the name I remember from when I was a kid. And the day was special, always the end of the month of May and not a three day weekend like it is now. Oh, yes, there were picnics and family gatherings but the real meaning of the day seemed.........well, more real. As I think of those that served our country, I think of my dad, Melvin, and I think of the quilts he enjoyed buying later in his life. This is a favorite and is one he bought and then my folks gave to me as a Christmas gift. As you can see, the photo was taken in sunshine which is missing these days. Lots of rain here so I pulled this photo from a couple years ago..........
 
 
And as I think of my dad, it is hard to believe that it has been five years since he passed away. Miss him always but smile just at the thought of him.  :-)  I've shared this photo before but he never minded sharing stories of the time he spent overseas and was very proud to have served in the U.S. Army.
Wishing you all a very lovely day...............
Sandi

2 comments:

Beth said...

Lovely quilt. Nice picture of your Dad. Your Dad is Melvin and mine is Malvin. Your Army ansd mine Navy.
In any case I join you in thanking all the men and women who served and are serving.

Nanette Merrill said...

Your dad and mine are men of awesome character.

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018