Monday, February 20

What's on the line?

This is one of the last vintage quilts that I took photos of last fall. It has a soft, sweet spring look to it.................

It's just a simple Dresden plate but, oh, so pretty! It's very worn but still brings a smile. The pink binding is just the right touch for this vintage charmer.  I enlarged the photo and cropped it for the above shot. Below is the original photo taken when the leaves were still green in mid September.
Once again, I wish I had an idea of who made this quilt but it's just another one bought at a farm auction. I picture this one in a small bedroom with white eyelet curtains at the window. They blow in the wind in summer and in the winter you can pull them back and see the frost diamonds on the windows. There's a dressing table next to the bed and it's made from an old table with mismatched legs. The legs are hidden by a pretty cotton skirt made from gathered feedsacks. A small mirror hangs above the table and a satin covered jewelry box holds a locket and other treasures. The room is small but tucked in the corner is an old bookcase painted in a soft apple green. I see a copy of "Gone with the Wind" sitting on the shelf  and postcards from Hollywood stars like Loretta Young and Bette Davis. You may think I'm just imagining all this because I didn't grow up during the 40's. But my mother-in-law did and I have her copy of "Gone with the Wind". And my mother can remember that movie stars would send you penny postcards with their autographs. Over the years, they shared lots of memories and I only wish I written more of them down or recorded them. Now, my mother is writing things down as she remembers the "good old days", and when we chat on the phone and talk about the old days, I take notes. :-)  Ah, yes, simpler times, and simply beautiful quilts.
Have a lovely Monday!  And for those of you here in the U.S.......Happy President's Day!
Sandi

8 comments:

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

That is beautiful! I have some of my Grandmother's old quilts. If only they could talk to me. :o) Have a good Holiday!

Pat said...

I really enjoyed your "word picture" of the bedroom in which that quilt might have rested long ago!

Richard Healey said...

I like the Dresden plate quilts going to try one later this year. Have questions though the plates do you applique them on or do you piece them on?

http://richardquilts.blogspot.com
Stop by for my quilt givaway to guess my babys b-day and weight.

Kate said...

This is a beautiful quilt and conjures up images like you describe - takes me back a long, long time. And doesn't it look wonderful blowing in the wind - a perfect picture!

Beth said...

When my Dad was in Vietman in the late 60's we lived with my Grandma. My room was the smallest in the house, but I had that tucked in cozy feel in that room. My window looked out over the porch roof and across the street in front of the house. I could see my cousin's house from my room and we went back and forth all the time.
I have been seeing Dresden quilts everywhere lately. Do you think it is a sign? I might have to make one. I have lots of 30's stash.
Thanks for the memories and the inspiration.

Denise :) said...

What a lovely quilt that is!! Thank for sharing both it and your sweet retelling of recollections from days past. :)

Anonymous said...

I can close my eyes and "see" this room, which somewhat resembles my room during the grade school years.

the Owl Lady

Heather said...

Just beautiful! Sandi... I do hope you're working on a novel in your "spare time." lol You have such a gift for painting a picture with words!

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018