Wednesday, November 16

Out and about to "Down Under Quilting"...........

Are you thinking I was "out and about" to Australia? No, not me. I was visiting my quilty friend, Anne Tuma, owner of "Down*Under*Quilting". That's her smiling face "behind the wheel" of her long-arm quilting machine..............

Anne and I met several years ago during a series of quilt shows in the Scott County (MN) libraries. She was so generous in sharing some of her quilts when we did not have quite enough for our display at the Belle Plaine library. Her work is exceptional!
So, are you wondering why her business is called Down*Under*Quilting? I can answer that question. It's because Anne is originally from Australia! Minnesota is home now, though, and Anne is well-known for her excellent machine quilting.
This is a really eye-catching quilt on the wall in her studio.............

I liked this one a lot. She also did it in a different colorway that I found stunning because it's autumn and I do love autumn colors!!
Anne also teaches in local community education programs and offers retreats. One of her classes is making a T-Shirt quilt. She has made this a class that even a beginning quilter can complete!
I brought along a couple quilts to share with Anne and I'm going to have her do this one below...........
It's called "Brick and Tile" and is a project that I taught at a retreat (Sew Close to Home Quilting Retreat at Emma Krumbee's) in 2006. I made the top, taught the class, never had the top quilted. It's time that quilt top grew up and graduated to a real quilt. :-)  More on this one in a future post. And yes, you all may have read my last post where I mentioned that I'm getting a new sewing machine and am planning to take a long-arm class at Quilter's Dream so you might wonder........why have someone else quilt this top for me? That's easy. She will get it done sooner than I will! LOL!  Once I get the new machine it'll take me a year to figure it out. Same goes for the long-arm classes. :-)
As I was leaving, I noticed this wallhanging and floral arrangement near her front door. My favorite color is usually pink but when the colors of autumn are put together, then they are my favorites, too!
 And speaking of autumn............on my way home, I passed this pretty farm scene...........
This really is Minnesota.........sunshine, no snow, awesome Autumn!!!  This photo was taken about two weeks ago. I was "out and about" this past Saturday with more quilty friends and it was still..........awesome Autumn. More on that adventure in my next post!
Sandi

6 comments:

Pat said...

WOW....love that quilt in two colorways but I think the autumn one your friend did is my favorite! Can't wait for more details on your anticipated machine purchase!!!

Denise :) said...

What a pretty pic you captured of harvested farm land! And I agree - the two pieces she did with the autumn colors are spectacular! :)

Needled Mom said...

You are going to have fun!!! Great quilts. ;~)

annemarie said...

Love the autumn pics - that is truly one thing I miss about Minnesota - the fall leaves are always so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

She does beautiful work. I especially like the one next to her door with the touch of periwinkle to set off the warm colors.

You have great fun ahead with your new machine. Are you also getting a quilting machine? Some stores will rent theirs by the hour also.

the Owl Lady

Lady Jane said...

Beautiful quilts!!! I like the autumn one also. Cant wait to hear about your machine and see what you do with it. Cheers! LJ

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018