Monday, September 26

What's on the line?

Something old, something blue, ........that's what's on the line today. This old quilt is very worn but it is still exquisite!  Just take a look.............
This is another quilt that my dad bought at a farm auction. It has seen lots of use and yet you can tell that it was cared for over the years. It was so carefully pieced and stitched......and as many of you know this is not an easy pattern to make!!! I love the fabric choices and wonder..........were they scraps or did this quiltmaker purchase her fabric and plan her design? It's a question for this and many other vintage quilts that can never be answered. Take a look at the close-up of the center...........

There are places where the fabric has worn thin and yet this quilt is still..........stunning! The most significant wear is on the outer edges of the quilt. I like this one so much that I think I may put a new, old-looking border on it so that I can display it on a wall somewhere here in our house. I will do it so that it could be removed and would not harm the integrity of the quilt.  This quilt just makes me smile so it would be nice to keep it out so I could pass by it and smile. :-)
I must apologize that this post is a bit late today.  I had some trouble with blogger and kept getting some message about "server issues" and finally gave up trying to do this as a scheduled Monday morning post. But it's here now, so hope you enjoyed it.
Now.........are you a blog reader who lives in southeast Iowa? If so........I shared with my Yahoo group members that I am going to be in the Iowa City area at the end of this week. I plan to meet a couple members at Inspirations*Quilt*Shop in Hills, Iowa, just south of Iowa City this coming Thursday, September 29th. If you live in the area, why not join us?  We are going to .........
"Meet, Greet, Shop and Eat" and will gather at the shop at 10:00 a.m. for a fun morning. We'll take time for coffee or lunch at the bakery that adjoins the shop ..... "Morning Glory Bakery".  This is sort of a "spur of the moment" plan but I just thought it might be fun! If you think you'd like to join us, please let me know. Send an e-mail to me at stitchinglegacy (@) gmail (dot) com.
Lots to do today so I best get to it! Oh, but one last picture.......well, make that two......
This is my friend, Gloria, who shared her talents in an old-fashioned hymn sing at Bender Park yesterday morning as part of Heritage Days in Henderson.  Gloria and I used to attend the same church before I moved and I miss her musical gifts. It was a real treat to hear her play as she is wonderful at the piano!  And the piano is not the only instrument that she is good at.........
She loves to play the accordian and when she does, her husband Jim often accompanies her on the "Spoons". In the photo above, the pastor from Centennial church borrowed Jim's spoons and is tapping out a tune on his knees. If you love music and old hymns, you would have enjoyed yesterday's outdoor service!!! 
Okay, time to get to work........Have a great Monday!
Sandi

10 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

The quilt is fabulous Sandi and yes, I would have loved the accordion and spoons!

Anonymous said...

What day is "end of the week"? for the eat, meet, etc?

Karen O said...

This quilt is a beauty! Enjoy your trip to Iowa.

Diane Wild said...

That quilt is a treasure. Hope you have a great trip to Iowa.

Miss Hillbilly said...

I love, Love, LOVE Lone Star quilts...and blue, so this quilt is just wonderful!!

Beth said...

I agree with Tonya; love Lone Stars and blue. It is a fantastic quilt.
Have a good trip. Wish I were close enough to get there.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Wonderful quilt!!!! It gave me goosebumps.

Me and My Stitches said...

Wish I could come meet you but it won't work this week. Hills is one of my favorite shops! Have fun and I look forward to seeing what treasures you find! The bakery is a wonderful place to eat - there is nothing there that isn't yummy!

Snoodles said...

Wish I could come to your clambake...sounds like a lot of fun! I just don't think I can make it in time, from South Carolina!!
Love this fabulous quilt...I could look at it forever.

Nanette Merrill said...

Not many people play the accordion anymore. Love that. This quilt is extremely special. Oh my gosh I love it so so much. Blogger has been hard lately.

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018