Saturday, April 23

A visit to the Deep Valley Quilt Guild show.........

Last Saturday, I went to Mankato, MN for the Deep Valley Quilter's Show. It was a great way to spend a very cold and windy afternoon. Actually, even if it had been sunny and lovely, I'd have been there anyway. But since it was cold and gloomy outside, the wonderfully colorful quilts were just like sunshine!  As I entered the exhibit, I checked with show staff to make sure it was okay to take photos and also to post them here. They said that should be just fine. If, though, you are a maker of any of these quilts and don't want your photo posted here, please let me know.
These are just a few of the quilts that I photographed as there were so many that I can't post them all here.
I thought I'd start with this frog themed quilt made by Courtney Schaefer who is one of the co-chairs for the show. The fabrics were those she got in her Cocoon kit bought at Firefly Quilt Shop. They sponsor a challenge where you purchase a bag that has four one yard cuts of fabric in it and you must make a quilt with almost all of the fabrics. Sometimes it's a challenge but Courtney did a great job with the fabrics she got in her bag. I'm not sure you can see it but swatches of the four fabrics pinned to the lower right corner of the quilt.

This next quilt was the first one that really caught my eye. I am always drawn to applique quilts more than pieced quilts but ...........I love them all!
And this is Courtney's husband and their daughter. She is studying that quilt as if she is thinking........hmmm.........one day, I'll quilt, too...........


And the maker of this wine-themed quilt is the other co-chair of the show, Lynn Vogel Turbes.
And here she is pointing out her little entry in the "quilt on a stick" challenge. If you have ever been to the Minnesota State Fair, you know that many foods come on a stick..........so why not have a "quilt on a stick"?  These were all really cute and very clever!

I thought I'd be able to rad the names on the quilt tags but not so. From here on out, I don't know the names of the makers of most of these quilts. I apologize for this and also because I don't have the pattern names either. I just like all these quilts.........









This quilt was unique......Bible scenes embroidered in a gold thread...........

Black and white ........and a little bit of red all over!

I do know the maker of this quilt ........ Sandi Kleinschmidt ......... as I remember when she was buying fabrics for this quilt!




And the quilt that just really intriqued me and that I went back to see it again and again, and got my vote for "Viewer's Choice", was this one by Toni Horning. The beautiful applique and the detailed machine quilting just made this quilt a "stand-out" for me.


I like it so much that I took note of her name and here it was again on this amazing little black and white quilt.......
As noted, these are just a few of the quilts that were on display. It was a great show and I am just glad that I could go!
I will be back on Monday. We are enjoying a visit from our grandson, Jacob. There could be some eggs-tra special fun times around here this weekend. Happy Easter everyone!
Sandi

15 comments:

Crispy said...

Wow beautiful quilts!! I'm so jealous, I haven't been to a quilt show in ages!!

Happy Easter to you too :0)

Crispy

Jocelyn said...

Wow these are so beautiful! Amazing!

Wishing you a very Happy and blessed Easter!

Me and My Stitches said...

Thanks for sharing the quilt show - looks like there were lots of eye candy!

Beth said...

What beautiful quilts. How to pick a favorite??? Thanks for sharing your photos. Enjoy your time with DGS.

Needled Mom said...

What a fun show!!! Those quilts were amazing! I loved seeing all of them.

I'm wondering if Lynn is a relative of mine with the Vogel name. lol

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

You took such wonderful photos of the quilts Sandi! It's fun to see them again. I forgot to tell you that the friend I went to this show with won the raffle quilt!! She was so excited.

baukje said...

beautiful quilts, thanks for sharing. happy easter

Pat said...

A friend and I went to the quilt show on Sunday. It was a bit of a drive for us (we live east of St Cloud), it was a beautiful, though chilly day. We both needed to get out of our houses so badly and this was just what we needed. It was a wonderful quilt show, not too big and not too small. The displays were wondeful as were the vendors. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming too. We had a marvelous time. Thanks for posting such great pictures.

annemarie said...

Beautiful - thanks for sharing. Love the quilt on a stick idea!!

Marilyn said...

Sandi -
Thanks for posting all these photos! I forgot to take pictures of most of them!
I was flattered that you posted by Patchwork Sampler in your photos!
I worked on Sunday and they told me you'd been there Saturday. Thought maybe you'd be worn out after Friday.
Sorry I missed you!
Marilyn (marcusquilts)

Blogless me said...

I absolutely love this quilt (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-77e5XZ9h0CM/TbJfuoSIxeI/AAAAAAAAHag/0RMO-XE_At0/s1600/DSCN7716.JPG). Do you have more info about the pattern?

Happy Easter to you and your readers!

Kaye said...

There are 15 mug rugs in the first picture. I would love to win those goodies, you sure are a sweetheart

Nanette Merrill said...

Lovely lovely quilts.

Dee said...

Thank you for posting our show. Glad you enjoyed your day. Dee

Jean Carlton said...

Hi from a fellow Minnesotan! I was at that show appraising quilts in the bed turning room. They always do a great show. I'm enjoying your blog.

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018