Monday, January 17

"What's on the line?"

I needed something sunny to share today so I went back to photos I had taken on my line back in August of 2008. I had only been blogging a few months then so I know I shared this quilt some time ago but it's always nice to see a pretty quilt more than once. There was a breeze that day and I love how the quilt would sway in the wind.........
I remember that day as it was the first time I had taken any photos of my own quilts on the clothesline that I strung between two trees in our backyard. I had strung that line, not for my own quilts, but because I wanted to take photos of quilts that we had collected or made for flood victims in Iowa. We were a group called "Sew and Share" and we pulled together a whole lot of quilts, pillowcases, hats, gloves, etc. that were driven to Iowa by a fellow quilter that I had come to know. I remember that summer as being warm and lovely. I am longing for summer, and warm and lovely, so what better way to get some than to share a quilt that reminds me summer will eventually arrive. :-) While I'm waiting for summer ....... and spring has to arrive first ..... I also thought this would be a good quilt to share as I could get back to what I am planning to do with it. It's in good condition as you can see here..........
but it's not really a quilt. It's a top that was tied and the batting is now quite lumpy from use. I love the blocks and so ....... and don't anyone have a heart attack here ...... I am going to undo the ties and I am going to re-do this quilt top by adding some rick rack around the yellow centers and perhaps around the scrappy part, too. It is not a family heirloom. It's a quilt that my dad bought at auction and so I am not destroying a valuable antique. Instead, I'm going to give it new life. I actually started undoing the ties more than a year ago, but it was boring so I moved on to other stuff. I've decided that I need a boring project in the kitchen, one of those things that is mindless, that I can't ruin if I forget what I'm doing. I know I can handle this while fixing chili or goulash or baking cookies, and any food that might get on it will just add "character". LOL! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Okay, so now I must admit that I have been a bit of a slug the past couple of days. I have lost my "get up and go" and rather than search for it this past weekend, I decided to catch up on much needed sleep as I could feel my body saying "you need rest". I did do some laundry and I took down the Christmas tree in the family room. And I called my mom a couple times and did a little e-mailing, too. I tried to work on the Snowman quilt but couldn't focus so I watched a good movie instead - Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House with Cary Grant. Very relaxing. I read a chapter in the current book I'm reading and then finished sewing the border on a penny rug I started last spring. Wait a minute, though.........that doesn't sound like being a slug! Maybe I will have to try harder to be a slug today. Then again, there's that big tree in the living room waiting to be undecorated so I guess being a slug will have to come some other day. :-)

It's a holiday here in the U.S. - the observance of Martin Luther King day and the hopes and dreams he had, some realized and some not, but hopeful for a brighter future.
Have a good day all!

Sandi

9 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Love the quilt on the line Sandi and I'm sure it's makeover will be amazing.
By the way...you're never a slug!!

Cindy said...

Never a slug - you are always sharing something that interests and intriques me...always.

The line looks fresh for spring today....even IF spring is a bit off in the distance.

Diane Wild said...

I, too, need a slug day but the guilt is too great. My "day off" will be spent making memory keepsakes from a friend's mother's wedding dress for the grandkids and great-grandkids. I have some ideas in mind..today will be the day to start. Have a good week.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Here is what jumped out at me...Helping the flood victims in Iowa. My friend lost her home and everything in it, to the flood. It was awful.Thank you for helping the flood victims...I know it was appreciated by all who received a quilt. I was new at quilting at that time, however, one of my first quilts was given to my friend, so I was a part of your groups generosity without knowing it. =)

Needled Mom said...

The remake of that quilt will be fabulous!!! I love the idea of the ric rac.

I think you need more slug practice. You're not doing a very good job yet. ;)

Scrappy quilter said...

I love the quilt. Can't wait to see the makeover.

Nanette Merrill said...

I feel like a January slug myself. Love your vintage quilt top. I agree, repurpose this and give it new life. It is too beautiful not to use.

Beth said...

I think you need slug practice! You do more on a 'slug'day than most people do on a busyday.

I love the quilt on the line. I never saw that one because I wasn't blogging then. I think your idea for giving it new life is a great one.

Chris Medford..WI said...

I just adore the LOVELIES at your website, so romantic but yet so whimsical. I like what you're doing with the snowmen patterns so I'm going to keep up with them to make something for this next winter.

Blessings to you & all you do...

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018