Monday, May 3

What's on the line?!!

After last week's experience with the wind, I didn't think it could get worse. I don't know what my mind was thinking because, of course, the wind got worse!! It really rattled doors and windows! I was planning to take a certain quilt out to the "line" for photos yesterday but the wind was still so strong that I didn't even bother trying! I'll get to that quilt on a calmer day. In the meantime, here's a quilt top that was "on the line" last summer..........
It is so fun with all those nine patch blocks and then that crazy 1950's kitchen print! I shared this top in a previous post and mentioned that I'm going to turn it into a tablecloth. I was going to do it last summer and never got to it but I am going to get it done soon because I want to use it at our family reunion in July!! This is one of many quilt tops that my dad and mom bought at auction a few years ago. The blocks are stitched together well but just not real accurately. :-) I am thinking of some type of binding and give it a wavy look "on purpose" to cover up the fact that the rows are uneven. :-) Now here's a question.....since I'm going to use it as a tablecloth, should I use batting and do some simple quilting on it or just tie it? Share your thoughts, if you would.
A little info on that "Hearts and Flowers" quilt that was pictured in my previous post..........that quilt was handmade by Delores Jebron from Dayton, Iowa in about 1951. She made it with her mother and they hand-pieced and hand-quilted it together . She told me she thought it was from a pattern that she had seen in a magazine or newspaper but couldn't recall for sure. I have searched many books including Barbar Brackman's Encyclopedia of Quilt Blocks and have never quite found this block. I did reproduce the block pattern when a good friend and an excellent quilter, asked if she could make a reproduction of the quilt. It was beautiful when it was finished! If I can verify the pattern is not a design that is still copyrighted, then I will include it in that book I'll write ....... sooner than later. :-) Thanks for your encouraging comments on my desire to write a book. I have moments when I'm sure that I have a book that others might want to read and then moments when I'm sure they wouldn't. Your responses and those of the women who have enjoyed my classes and programs this past year, have encouraged me to follow through with a book proposal. If anything ever materializes......nice pun, huh?........I'll be sure and let you all know. :-)
Have a wonderful Monday!
Sandi

13 comments:

luv2quilt2 said...

I love that pattern, and would love to see a pattern for it. I think you would have a lot to say of interest to other quilters.

Pokey said...

I'm teaching a friend to quilt, and you nine patch here is one I want to show her, because of the interesting contrast squares. She has a collection of 1980's calicoes (from her Mom) that we plan to use, and I'm gonna try to find something equally interesting if possible!
I would not tie this sweet top, especially if you hope to use it on a table. Your wavy line quilting sounds like the trick!

Pat said...

I agree with Pokey about NOT tying this quilt. The places where it would be tied will become raised areas (little bumps, if you will) and that can cause a problem if someone sets a small dish or glass on the bumps. So...I say batting and quilting it is in order. You can even use a very light fleece or flannel instead of anything heavier for the batting. (I often use something that lightweight for small table runners.)

Crispy said...

I agree about quilting instead of tying though the first thing that popped into my head is that it will need to stand up to washing after things get spilled on it and I'm not so sure tying would hold up as well. You will have the prettiest table cloth at the reunion :0)

Crispy

Joanne Lendaro said...

Love the quilt!! I agree with the other gals...quilt not tie.

Beth said...

Love the colors. It will be lovely on your table. I agree with the others, quilt not tie.

Owl Lady said...

I also vote for quilt, not tie. I would suggest that you line it with flannel, which will make a smoother tablecloth than batting. You could even use the flannel as batting and backing in one. Part of the charm will be that not all corners are matched exactly, etc. You will have fun working on this project.

Anonymous said...

Ok, everyone has already said what I am going to say, but just in case you are still undecided. NO tying and a THIN "bat" - mostly to add stability to the utility of wash and use a table cloth will need. Love you "line" and look forward to many more.

Anonymous said...

I'm tempted to say 'tie it!' just to be contrary ;o), but quilting will be the best. With tablecloths, the flatter the better especially around kids!

Nanette Merrill said...

I don't like pieced tops tied. But that is just me. I don't mind whole quilt tops tied but pieced tops need quilting to keep them stable, IMO. It is pretty.l

Barb said...

I love what is on your line...

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Just use flannel for batting and quilt it! It will make such a cute tablecloth!

Lindah said...

Just to add another angle... the times that I have used flannel for the batting, I have been disappointed in the outcome. It lacks the softness and definition that a real batting gives it. I too would vote for quilting, not tie. I make all of my tablecloths, large and small. I use Warm and Natural or White cotton batting. I don't do a heavy quilting job because then it would be too stiff to drape nicely. I wash and treat for stains and dry in the dryer just as I would any other cloth --and I LOVE not having to iron my tablecloths. A quilted tablecloth is so cozy. Have fun with it!

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018