Friday, January 29

Chasing away the "winter blues"!!!

To help chase the "winter blues away", my blogging friend Pat (you'll find her here ) suggested we add some variety to our posts by going back 5 years in our files, click on the 5th photo and post it on our blog. I don't have digital photos that go back that far so I decided I would dig into some really old photos.
This one is a favorite family photo that only "surfaced" a few years ago when my cousin, Charlotte, brought it to a family reunion. I love the photo as it is so "us, our family" in the 1950's.

In the last years of my dad's life he talked often of how nothing made him more pleased "than to walk down the street with ma and you girls in new dresses that she had made." I love this picture as it is so full of memories. :-)
I decided to make the photo into a new blog header that I will use more permanently. I began my blog "A Legacy of Stitches" shortly after my dad passed away in April of 2008 and this photo just seemed to gather all the good thoughts into one photo that makes me smile every time I see it. I am so glad that Charlotte brought it to our reunion!
Busy day coming and busy weekend ahead. I'm going to a retreat but won't even be leaving the house. :-) More to share later..........
Sandi

Oops! I need to make a little correction.....I got the date wrong on the photo above. The year is 1957, not 1956. I corrected it in my header. :-)

14 comments:

Barb said...

That is just sooooo sweet....the dresses are cute too...what a compliment to you mom...what a great dad!!

Christine said...

What a touching photo and memory. Thanks for sharing!! :) Christine

annemarie said...

Love this picture - reminds me of how my three sisters and I would wear the same dresses - and they were made by my mother - such wonderful memories. The fifties and sixties were such great times in which to grow up!

Diane H said...

Bless you for reminding us that there is nothing as precious as 'family'. Those that are still
with us and those that live on in our hearts.

Owl Lady said...

Thanks for the memories. My mother made most of my clothes and her own. The scraps made doll clothes. The scraps from that appeared in quilts, etc. We didn't call it "recycling" then; it was "why spend money for something when you already have something that will work". Some of the earliest that I remember started with feed sacks.

Pat said...

What an absolutely WONDERFUL photo!!! I'm glad you played along with my little photo fun....and also happy that it brought back some happy memories for you (which, I'm sure were bittersweet since your dad has passed). I believe we all have photos that we don't look at too often, so I think I will periodically have photo challenges on my blog. I have had a wonderful response...and even comments from folks I had no idea followed my blog......because they enjoyed going into their photos to find one to post.

Jocelyn said...

What a wonderful picture. It really is such a sweet family portrait.

andsewon said...

What a sweet family photo...a true treasure.

Lola

Chookyblue...... said...

great photo........

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

What wonderful memories and what an awesome photo Sandi! Thanks for sharing it!

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

love that picture, so warm and caring. I wish i had pictures of my family and now i tell my kids to take pics of their life. one lesson learned.

Nihal said...

Touching family photo gave your blog a human warmth, Sandi. Like very much your new header, please let it live long, don't change immediately:)

Ida13 said...

I love this photo too. I always liked photos from the distance and wich shows how lived people.
Do you have more photos to share with us?

Nanette Merrill said...

I love that family photo in your header. It is like going back to simple times and wonderful memories.

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018